need an steering alignment so setup quesitons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need an steering alignment so setup quesitons

first of all is the stock setup on a dc2r adjustable in the areas of toe etc.

my steering alignments off and pulling slightly to the left so im going to go get that fixed and while i was there i was thinking about possibly adjusting toe etc..

would this be worthwhile for a mainly street driven car. i do have intentions of tracking but atm its highly unlikely for the near future

is the stock setup the best for my purpose or would i be better off adjusting some of the stock settings?
    Originally posted by tinkerbell
    if anyone is under the impression VTEC is in any way bad for your engine - please understand that it is NOT bad for your engine,

maybe your drivers licence, but not your engine...

One of those questions that you'll get heaps of different answers to...

Cause it really depends on the driver. Yes, the stock setting are fine for OEM DC2R. I run 3mms toe-in, give good feel on turn-in.

Later
    sigpic
    B.L.A.T Racing.
    Brake Late & Turn.

Comment

Just to be contrary –

I run a bit of front toe out and have the rear set to zero toe out/in. This seems to work fine with me (my car is mostly neutral with a smidge of oversteer)

You will want to get a 4 wheel alignment where they do the rear wheels first then the front wheels second. Front & rear toe-in/out is about all that you can adjust on a stock DC2R.
      Honda DC2R Integra

If I change the nut behind the wheel then my sloppy lines improve and I can get some consistency to sort out my iffy handling, my worrying lack of braking ability goes away, after that I can start fretting about my suspicious lack of straight line grunt.

Comment

Originally posted by IcemaN View Post
        first of all is the stock setup on a dc2r adjustable in the areas of toe etc.

my steering alignments off and pulling slightly to the left so im going to go get that fixed and while i was there i was thinking about possibly adjusting toe etc..

would this be worthwhile for a mainly street driven car. i do have intentions of tracking but atm its highly unlikely for the near future

is the stock setup the best for my purpose or would i be better off adjusting some of the stock settings?
        Firstly, the adjustment of toe is part of the alignment. In the case of the DC2, it's the only adjustable alignment setting from factory. If you want camber adjustment, you need to change to aftermarket UCA's front and rear.

I would use stock settings personally. There is an "acceptable range" for the rear toe in the stock alignment settings, I use 2mm total toe-in which is (from memory) at the lowest end of the range. I find that any more toe-in at the rear causes the car to push (understeer) too much for my liking. Basically more static toe-in will give you more stability under braking at the expense of rotation.

Hope this helps
        | 1991 Formula Red NSX | 1999 CW DC2R #00-193 | 2013 Black CBR1000RR

"And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Comment

Just for your info, it pays to understand why people are suggesting what they do.

Toe In - will cause nice straight line stability but will require more input and effort to get the car to turn. However once in a turn it will stick there and follow it nicely.

Toe Out - will cause the car to follow any irregularity in the road, ie straigh line stability is gone. It will however be very easy to turn into corners and come out of corners nicely.

You also need to understand that the driven wheels (rear wheels on a RWD car or front wheels on a FWD), while under power will toe IN. The wheels that arent being driven (rear wheels on a FWD car or front wheels on a RWD) will toe OUT under acceleration. As you are in a FWD and thats where steering is, by nature, while under acceleration your car will become less responsive to steering response.

Lastly, for both tow IN and OUT you will also cause scrubbing on your tyres the larger the degree of toe you set. You are basically "pulling" a tyre at this angle / in this direction -> instead of "rolling" a tyre at this angle - in this direction ->.

So now thats out the way my suggestions...if you dont care about tyre wear then chose the setting you like best, straight line stability (most people prefer this) or cornering response (you like to clean face prints off your windows ). If you are concerned about tyre wear then go with factory settings. They are always a nice compromise.

Cheers

Andrew

Mazda RX8 Owners Club of Victoria - Events Co-Ordinator | Winton: 1:42.86 | Sandown: 1:32.42 | Broadford: 1:10.45 | Wakefield: 1:15.94

Comment

Originally posted by rxeght View Post
            Just for your info, it pays to understand why people are suggesting what they do.

Toe In - will cause nice straight line stability but will require more input and effort to get the car to turn. However once in a turn it will stick there and follow it nicely.

Toe Out - will cause the car to follow any irregularity in the road, ie straigh line stability is gone. It will however be very easy to turn into corners and come out of corners nicely.

You also need to understand that the driven wheels (rear wheels on a RWD car or front wheels on a FWD), while under power will toe IN. The wheels that arent being driven (rear wheels on a FWD car or front wheels on a RWD) will toe OUT under acceleration. As you are in a FWD and thats where steering is, by nature, while under acceleration your car will become less responsive to steering response.

Lastly, for both tow IN and OUT you will also cause scrubbing on your tyres the larger the degree of toe you set. You are basically "pulling" a tyre at this angle / in this direction -> instead of "rolling" a tyre at this angle - in this direction ->.

So now thats out the way my suggestions...if you dont care about tyre wear then chose the setting you like best, straight line stability (most people prefer this) or cornering response (you like to clean face prints off your windows ). If you are concerned about tyre wear then go with factory settings. They are always a nice compromise.

Cheers

Andrew
            Great post!
            | 1991 Formula Red NSX | 1999 CW DC2R #00-193 | 2013 Black CBR1000RR

"And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Comment

some good information there guys, as usual seems like i need to work out what going to best suit me and my driving. deffinatly not concerned about tire wear. i hardly drive the car.

in addition im using toyo t1r's if anyone else is using these they would probably know that turn in is a challenge as the tires are very hard to read. might be looking at the toe out route.

thanks for the imput everyone much appreciated. rx8 awesome post so easy to read and understand
              Originally posted by tinkerbell
              if anyone is under the impression VTEC is in any way bad for your engine - please understand that it is NOT bad for your engine,

maybe your drivers licence, but not your engine...

Comment

Toe out Front is the way to go for turn in and exit as posted above I've tested up to 21mm Toe out front. Shit for braking but super smooth on turn in and exit was totally awesome haha The front end just would not let go!

GTP DC2R runs about 10mm F toe out

I'm currently running 4mm toe out on Street tyres and it's about the most I would go on the street while noticing some improvement on Turn in and exit but definitely no where near as nice as 21mm out

Stick with a slight toe in Rear for braking stability and it should be quite fun

I also run +2.5 castor and -4 camber, so the results could vary from my description for a stock set up.

You could try the A-arm swap for caster which is free too!
                ..:: Disciple of the DDang Driving School :: ..
                - Don't rev at me, I get scared -

Comment

Originally posted by euGeR View Post
                  I'm currently running 4mm toe out on Street tyres and it's about the most I would go on the street while noticing some improvement on Turn in and exit but definitely no where near as nice as 21mm out
                  Thats some bloody agressive settings
                  can I ask if those street settings is 2mm each side? or 4mm each side?

Comment

Originally posted by wuism View Post
                    can I ask if those street settings is 2mm each side? or 4mm each side?
                    They would be for each side I would assume.
                    Don't know anyone who quotes them as a combined left + right.
                    happyhong says:
                    aus only have 3 r
                    happyhong says:
                    civic R, integra R and jonnieR

Comment

Originally posted by freakygeek View Post
                      Great post!
                      2nd that! easy to understand!

Comment

Originally posted by fueltank View Post
                        They would be for each side I would assume.
                        Don't know anyone who quotes them as a combined left + right.
                        Yup - each side. Excessive toe out basically masks the torque steer in the corner on acceleration, which is why you can nail the accelerator very early in the corner. The stock LSD seems to grab and the front will not let go (even in the wet!). This kind of extreme makes the car feel like it has clutch type LSD which pulls you into the apex.

Coupled with a slight oversteer rear end, this is damn fun on exit. Whether it is faster is another story. Definitely no good for directional stability and tyre wear

I'm just an experimenter .. have to try the extremes
                        ..:: Disciple of the DDang Driving School :: ..
                        - Don't rev at me, I get scared -

Comment

What is the stock DC2R alignment settings with toe and camber and castor?

Hey guys...

I'm about due for an alignment so I was looking at my last one and there is a print out of the settings they put it at last time. I don't ask for anything, just let them do their job, but since doing that alignment, I noticed my tyre wear on the inside front aren't too good... How do they look? (My car veers to the left when steering wheel in centre position).

These are the settings:

Rear Axle
                          Camber
                          Left: -1°09'
                          Right: -1°13'
                          Toe
                          Left: +0.4mm
                          Right: +0.4mm

Front Axle
                          Camber
                          Left: -0°44'
                          Right: -1°05'
                          Toe
                          Left: +0.4mm
                          Right +0.4mm
                          Castor 10°
                          Left: -0°26'
                          Right: -0°35'

Also wondering, can anyone tell me what the factory DC2R settings are supposed to be as I don't really track my car, if ever maybe once a year. I just want the 'normal' street settings with minimal and even tyre wear.

Comment

Originally posted by wuism View Post
                            X2.

That's about what I'll be running on a dedicated track car. You mustn't like tyres much.

Comment

so nobody can help me with the factory settings? do i have to start my own thread to get anyone's attention?

Comment

Working...
                              X