How to tell if our B18C engine is burning oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to tell if our B18C engine is burning oil

I have 2 noob questions. I did some search and googling but found nothing definitive.

What I'm doing right now is to check my dipstick for oil level, am I correct to say that the cold level should be at the bottom dot and the warm level at the 2nd dot?

Also are there some methods of checking if our B18C7 engine burns oil?

Thanks ahead.

man this isn't even a noob question. This is the basics your asking, i think it's even taught in the driving book.

Top dot is full, bottom dot is low. should be at the top dot no matter if the engine is warm hot or cold.

Of course check it when your engine is off.

I highly suggest you read your owners manual, it will teach you some basics.

I don't really see the point in telling you anything baout oil burning
    /Oo ___H___ oO\
    |=_/_______\_=|

Comment

you can only get a true oil reading if the car is on flat ground, and has been sitting for a few hours... this way most of the oil goes back into the sump.

If it is currently at the bottom dot... that would mean your at normal-low engine oil.

like kavehman said this is BASIC stuff... it is noob stuff if you have never opened the bonnet of your car before.

Comment

Appreciate the pointers. I admit I have much more to learn.

Kaveh: Would you please go on about burning oil?
        Last edited by poizon; 15-07-07, 11:06 PM.

Comment

Kenny, it's quite normal for the B18C to burn oil - but if you're blowing lots of blue smoke from the exhaust then that's a worry.

1. Make sure you park on a flat level surface and let your car sit for a few hours.

2. Check the oil level.

3. Go for a spirited drive.

4. Park on flat level surface again and check oil after a few hours. If it's dropped substantially from where it was to start with then you're burning a substantial amount of oil.
          j0nbubz: RG's awp is LOL
          Chi: ...word of advice on who plays against rG
          faijai: rg + awp = gg
          hebe: Hahaha rG is just L337 bro!
          rG`: Touchpad FTW!

Comment

rG, know I can count of you for an advice....

so does that mean if the level remains at the same level, its not burning oil? The reason I asked was because I'm using a different brand and viscosity of engine oil lately and wanted to observe if it made any difference.

Comment

No worries, I suggest you have a read of this thread as there's plenty of feedback from other owners: http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthre...ght=engine+oil

Originally posted by BuddyClub View Post
              for high revving n/a motors in street conditions, lighter 0w-40 oils are the best option, with generally lower oil temps and more cold starts - but these tend to burn faster than thicker oils. The thinner they are, the faster they flow through the motors and then very quickly and get up to operating temp faster than the conventionally thicker oil. Thinner oils are probably better for street, but are higher maintenance. Although I'm sure most of your guys change your oil almost every day

Best way to go about it is to use lighter for day to day use, then change before a circuit or drag appearance to a thicker oil due to higher stress and much higher temperatures - then change back to a thinner oil the next day.
              After a circuit day (in my own case for sure) i find in my own car my gearbox and motor oil cook and don't lubricate as well any more!

Edit: I use Mobil 1 Super Synth, but will soon be switching to another oil (not sure yet, probably Shell).
              Last edited by rG`; 16-07-07, 07:59 AM.
              j0nbubz: RG's awp is LOL
              Chi: ...word of advice on who plays against rG
              faijai: rg + awp = gg
              hebe: Hahaha rG is just L337 bro!
              rG`: Touchpad FTW!

Comment

You don't need to let the car sit for a few hours to check the oil level, when the oil is hot it drains very quickly. Any reading you take after turning the car off will be just as accurate as checking the oil of a car thats been sitting overnight.

To look for signs of oil burning, look for these.

1. Blue Smoke
                2. Check the oil level weekly if it goes down you may be burning oil, all cars will burn a bit o foil.
                3. Pull the spark plugs to see if there clean or not.
                4. No other way's i know of, but nearly all cars burn a little bit of oil, it's common.

Personally I use shell helix ultra
                /Oo ___H___ oO\
                |=_/_______\_=|

Comment

u are meant to check it several min afterwards.. not several hours or overnight..

fact : u will burn oil if u over fill.. you will over fill if u check your oil too quickly after switching off motor. Once u overfill your PCV will suck the oil out and inject it back into the head to be burnt...
                  So burning oil when u over fill is quiet normal, especially on the track

fact: u shouldnt check the oil in the morning..
                  Another thing to note :
                  Too much oil being pulled in by PCV into intake MF causes lower octane.
                  Last edited by BlitZ; 16-07-07, 12:01 PM.

Project: Machine myself a heavy gear knob

Comment

Originally posted by kavehman View Post
                    3. Pull the spark plugs to see if there clean or not.
                    Correct me if im wrong..

Running rich will also foul you plugs and make then black...

remember seeing a picture for spark plgu diagonisis... google it..
                    Last edited by BlitZ; 16-07-07, 12:22 PM.

Project: Machine myself a heavy gear knob

Comment

you can check the oil 5 minutes after you've gone for a drive and left it to sit on flat ground.

to see if ur burning lots of oil, check the level before you get an oil change service and see how much oil u have left...

with daily driving with VTEC, at my next service i usually still have 'full' oil... just that its dirty which is normal. if u had only 'half' oil at ur service with only daily driving with VTEC, then i would think ur car is burning oil...

Comment

Originally posted by rayDC2R View Post
                        you can check the oil 5 minutes after you've gone for a drive and left it to sit on flat ground.

to see if ur burning lots of oil, check the level before you get an oil change service and see how much oil u have left...

with daily driving with VTEC, at my next service i usually still have 'full' oil... just that its dirty which is normal. if u had only 'half' oil at ur service with only daily driving with VTEC, then i would think ur car is burning oil...
                        If you only had half your oil, your engine would be toast.

However if you had an oil level halfway between the dots on the dipstick between services, I would consider this normal consumption.
                        | 1991 Formula Red NSX | 1999 CW DC2R #00-193 | 2013 Black CBR1000RR

"And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Comment

whats the situation if your car blows alot of smoke from the exhaust at about 4 - 5000rpm... and it burns quite a bit of oil..??

Comment

Originally posted by HKS01 View Post
                            whats the situation if your car blows alot of smoke from the exhaust at about 4 - 5000rpm... and it burns quite a bit of oil..??
                            wat kind of smoke?? black smoke??
                            http://kingtan.com.au

Comment

Originally posted by BlitZ View Post

fact: u shouldnt check the oil in the morning..
                              just curious... y is this so?

i always check in the mornings. coz its settled over night.

Comment

Working...
                              X