Brake shudder only when hot at any speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake shudder only when hot at any speed

i don't know if this may be normal .. i wouldn't think so any way .. i was taking my DC2R 00 for a run and while i decelerating with the gears and applied a light brake to slow down from high speed through how ever while slowing down the 2nd time i felt a shudder though the steering wheel .. i take it they would of been hot .. when they cooled down the shudder went away.. how ever the braking performance is not the same as before

as for what i know of the brakes have been re machined with new pads (Honda stock pads) 20000Km ago not that I've done any heavy braking with it ..

it scored a 99%braking test on its road worthy 8000Km ago
    Living The Midnight Dream

Wheel balance or warped disk's. Any high speed braking for prolonged periods? Maybe you drove through some deep water after moderate breaking.....
    F/S: VTI-R Civic

Comment

A Wheel Balance issue would be a constant variable. Since the problem occurs intermittantly or in between aggressive braking styles, it would rule out wheel balancing.

The problem is your rotors. Replace them at this point. Dont mind resurfacing.

Comment

Originally posted by B.ITR.00 View Post
        as for what i know of the brakes have been re machined with new pads (Honda stock pads) 20000Km ago not that I've done any heavy braking with it ..
        This could actually BE the problem.

If they weren't bedded in correctly after the disc machining, then you may have an uneven dispersion of brake pad material on the surface of your rotors, causing shudder/vibrations.

Always bed in the brakes according to the pad manufacturers recommendation.
        | 1991 Formula Red NSX | 1999 CW DC2R #00-193 | 2013 Black CBR1000RR

"And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Comment

Oh, read this too.

The "Warped" Brake Disc and Other Myths of the Braking System

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...rakedisk.shtml

"And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Comment

hey thanks that website was very helpful .. and i should of added that I've only driven the car for 5000km of them 20000km so i don't know if they have been run in correctly

one bad thing i have noted however.. when i took off the wheel is that there is or what looks like a imprint of the pad on the rotor which i take it would be pad material inbeded in to the rotor

so how do i fix that machine the rotors ? replace the rotors ? how much will that cost and what should i go genuine Honda or like DBA ? rotors if it comes to that

Comment

Originally posted by B.ITR.00 View Post
              one bad thing i have noted however.. when i took off the wheel is that there is or what looks like a imprint of the pad on the rotor which i take it would be pad material inbeded in to the rotor

so how do i fix that machine the rotors ? replace the rotors ? how much will that cost and what should i go genuine Honda or like DBA ? rotors if it comes to that
              If the rotors still have enough thickness you could have them machined. Problem is that if the pad material has been left on the rotor surface too long in that state, the damage might be too much to correct permanently with machining (the article goes into some detail about this, due to the effect of cementite forming etc).

If you are nearly due for new Rotors, I would change them now. Not worth spending money machining rotors if they need replacing in a few thousand km IMO.

Comment

If they are really gone, it will not take a few thousand kilometres after machining, mine were fucked again after 500-600 km's of driving after being machined.

Comment

ill have to measure them to see what way i need to go oh well lol

i think ill go Ferodo brake pads with the new the new discs if it comes to that

Comment

Working...
                  X