No announcement yet.

Best Oil for our beloved Hondas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oh yeah for sure i've heard of elf... just never tried it before and wanted some views on this particular oil thats 'replacing' my mobil 1.

Comment

Did you ask the mechanic why he asked you to try ELF instead?

Comment

i use elf 10-40w which is fully synthetic

im pretty sure the the 5-30w you're using is mineral based

Comment

robert said it is a good product, and cheaper than mobil 1. he also mentioned that it is full synthetic too. he asked me to try it, that i have nothing to lose, if i don't like it then let him know...

Comment

checked my bottle of 10w-40 elf competition gt oil last night, its actually semi-synthetic

if rob used the 5w-30 excellum gp on yours, than yep, u have the fully sydthetic oil, which i assume would be the better oil since it would be a thicker oil at high temps and better engine protection

Comment

maybe this is another reason not to use mobil1 oil

check this out
              http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthre...hlight=mobil+1

apparently the mobil 1 has high lead content and is fully synthetic by name only

Comment

for high revving n/a motors in street conditions, lighter 0w-40 oils are the best option, with generally lower oil temps and more cold starts - but these tend to burn faster than thicker oils. The thinner they are, the faster they flow through the motors and then very quickly and get up to operating temp faster than the conventionally thicker oil. Thinner oils are probably better for street, but are higher maintenance. Although I'm sure most of your guys change your oil almost every day

Best way to go about it is to use lighter for day to day use, then change before a circuit or drag appearance to a thicker oil due to higher stress and much higher temperatures - then change back to a thinner oil the next day.
                After a circuit day (in my own case for sure) i find in my own car my gearbox and motor oil cook and don't lubricate as well any more!

http://www.buddyclub.com.au
                Contact Us! - support AT buddyclub.com.au
                We're here to help!!

Comment

Originally posted by nipnip View Post
                  apparently the mobil 1 has high lead content and is fully synthetic by name only
                  apparently the same with castrol oils, as they're made from castor beans! Don't quote me on this, though!

http://www.buddyclub.com.au
                  Contact Us! - support AT buddyclub.com.au
                  We're here to help!!

Comment

Thanks for that nipnip, now I think I'll move from Mobil 1 to Royal Purple - anyone know the cheapest place to buy this?
                    j0nbubz: RG's awp is LOL
                    Chi: ...word of advice on who plays against rG
                    faijai: rg + awp = gg
                    hebe: Hahaha rG is just L337 bro!
                    rG`: Touchpad FTW!

Comment

Does anyone know who\where manufactures the Honda FEO oils? (eg: Castrol)
                      As in does Honda outsource then badge it as Honda FEO?
                      sigpic

Comment

Switched from Motul 5-30w (not sure which product, as the previous owner put it in) to ELF 10w-50 in my DC2R. Now my car has stopped consuming oil (not a drop, I check it weekly). I must say its pretty good so far..
                        David

'00 DC2 Integra TypeR SOLD
                        '78 SB2 Civic "Hondamatic"
                        '07 GD3 Jazz

Comment

Originally posted by Justified View Post
                          Royal purple 10W-40 rocks!!

hehe
                          What basis are you suggesting this? Im thinking of trying this oil next, I have been using motul 300v Chrono for the last 15,000-20,000kms ..

I can get the royal purple 10w-40 in 5L container for $84...

Quote:
                          Originally Posted by justinfox
                          You can modify many crappy cars out there to be faster than a real Type-R but no matter how fast they are they still don't knock the Type-R off it's "pedestal" which it so deservedly sits on. :P

JHDM-B18C7 >>>>> Source Code: DC2R 00-0016 SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by Sypherg View Post
                            Does anyone know who\where manufactures the Honda FEO oils? (eg: Castrol)
                            As in does Honda outsource then badge it as Honda FEO?
                            They do. I beleive the oil was at one stage a Caltex oil. I don't know specifics, but most likely it would have been made to a specification designed by Honda.

Many oil manufacturers make specific lubricant products for OEMs, to meet certain requirements for their application. Choosing the right oil for a modern car is certainly more important than ever before, with things like DPFs (Diesel Particulate Filters in current diesel motors) which can be destroyed by using an incorrect oil. A blocked DPF can cost in the many thousands of dollars to replace. As they say, Oils ain't Oils, and this is even more true now. There are a new range of specifications called ACEA which cover a lot of the new requirements for engine and transmission lubricants. These are far more stringent and thorough than existing API standards.

http://www.infineum.com/information/...eanddiesel.pdf

Not much of this stuff really affects us with our Hondas, however it's interesting general information that I'm sure people will be interested to know.
                            | 1991 Formula Red NSX | 1999 CW DC2R #00-193 | 2013 Black CBR1000RR

"And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Comment

Well... i use Mobil1 10w40 for my honda... i have consulted with some mechanics... the say for honda .. it's better using the finest oil (of course normal use i supose)
                              Last edited by Croc; 17-07-08, 04:03 AM. Reason: Be More Specific

Comment

Mobil1 10W-40 is awesome for non-tracked cars...
                                ... retired/

Comment

Working...
                                X