Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to prevent damage to your engine mounts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to prevent damage to your engine mounts.

This may be a silly question but...
    i just bought new engine mounts (mugen ones) because my old ones where cracked. 2 out of 5 of them. Anyway i got 5 new mounts and would just like to know what is the main cause of destroying engine mounts (launches, etc).

Just want to know so i can take care of these mounts and hopefully they last a long time.

don't shift at redline....lol

Comment

Shifting at redline really has little to do with it, if you're smooth and match your revs nicely.

Dumping the clutch from a standstill will have a far worse effect on your engine mounts.
      | 1991 Formula Red NSX | 1999 CW DC2R #00-193 | 2013 Black CBR1000RR

"And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Comment

Originally posted by freakygeek View Post
        Shifting at redline really has little to do with it, if you're smooth and match your revs nicely.

Dumping the clutch from a standstill will have a far worse effect on your engine mounts.
        I dont want to correct you freaky, but I think you are a little wrong

I suggest you keep them wrapped up in the original packaging and store them in a dark, dry cool place. This will give you maximum life.

Comment

guys this is serious.
          no need to make jokes when asking a legitimate question.

Im sure there are way ppl drive that make engine mounts last a lot shorter due to hard launches that they keep doing etc.

So what are some of the things that destroy engine mounts???

Comment

Anything that causes movement to the engine maybe?

Comment

Jsut dont drive like a hoon, simple as that.

Engine mounts break now and then it cant be avoided, only delayed.

Just dont do things liek flat shift, hard launches in normal driving etc.

Should be fine.

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
              Horse power is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."

Comment

will things like engine dampers assist?

Comment

engine damper, engine mount inserts wither one will help, but these 2 things will give your bum a tingle sensation while in idle....some ppl like that...some dont haha

z10 says:
                  i bet you will have 10000 wheels when you are done
                  z10 says:
                  mon-fri 9am-5pm chasing for jazz parts

Comment

hmm...i'm thinking engine dampers actually makes the engine mounts wear out more...since it's restricting the movement of the engine, the mount would channel the vibration to the engine mounts??
                    or does the engine damper transfer the vibrations to the chassis/cabin??
                    or does the engine damper absorb the vibrations??

Comment

If it's the first time you replaced them then I wouldn't be too worried about them.

ES Engine mount inserts will save your mounts at the expense of added vibration. But putting ES inserts into Mugen mounts? Hmm, seems a waste to me.

Report back on how you find the Mugen mounts!
                      | 1991 Formula Red NSX | 1999 CW DC2R #00-193 | 2013 Black CBR1000RR

"And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Comment

go with very very fucking hard race mounts. Will be much harder to break as they are tuned for a harsher driving enviroment. Of course the price to pay is cabin vibrations aplenty

Comment

Well ill tell you right now the Mugen Mounts are AWESOME.

I know this is gonna sound stupid but its true and have other to vouch for it.
                          When I first got my exhaust installed i had a straight pipe (no cat) (yes i know highly illegal, get over it) anyway it sounded awesome. got the hi flow cat installed cause i didnt have enough backpressure and found the sound was not as raw (like a racecar) i was dissapointed but got over it. Anyway when i got the mugen mounts installed even i startup i could tell something was different (sound wise). When i finally took it for a drive OMG it sounded like i had no cat again. I had that raw sound again and not only that i could actually hear my headers pumping air so much more now. My car actually sounds like a truck at some points now.

But apart from that noise change i find that i dont get much wheel hopping on gear change, gear changes feel like honey and engine feels as if its revving much smoother.

In the end Im happy i bought the mugen mounts

ps. if anyone knows why my exhaust sound would have changed some much pls tell me why?? And before someone points out the obvious yes i have checked if my cat is still there and "no" there is no damage.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackDC2 View Post
                            I dont want to correct you freaky, but I think you are a little wrong

I suggest you keep them wrapped up in the original packaging and store them in a dark, dry cool place. This will give you maximum life.
                            ROFL, thats fucking classic.

Comment

don't want to break mounts then get solid ones.\

No idea about adding noise to exhuast with engine mounts O_O.
                              BYP Racing & Developments
                              Built. Tuned. Driven
                              Want to go fast? Come see us! e: jimmy@bypracing.com ph: (02) 9757 4757

Comment

Working...
                              X