Rear Trailing Arm bush replacement DC2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fueltank View Post
    I reckon polybushes would be the same just movement would be restricted.

Similar to poly motor mounts, the motor still moves in same directions just not as much.
    Originally posted by tinkerbell
    so, can i ask you which suspension geometry changes will be different compared with the OEM bush?
    The toe angle change in various load situations (braking & cornering) will be lessened from the more flexible OEM rubber bush. This may affect less push-understeer effect in cornering due to the toe-in angle of the loaded wheel being lessened.

This is my understanding.
    Last edited by freakygeek; 28-08-06, 02:46 PM.
    | 1991 Formula Red NSX | 1999 CW DC2R #00-193 | 2013 Black CBR1000RR

"And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Comment

Stole image from Honda-Tech poster...

Quoted :- The rubber bearing (RTA Bush) which represents the so-called "vehicle roll axis" provides the real longitudinal wheel control of the axle. (that being the forward/backward force on the wheel which affects the toe change)

So if you stiffen that bush the resultant toe change is lessened...

"And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Comment

The OEM Honda bushes are not solid (like aftermarket ones) so they can allow the R.T.A. to travel freely and fully through its range/s of motion.

This may not be as evident with short stroke dampers and high spring rates, as there is not as much suspension travel as in a stock suspension set up.

The RTA does not soley move vertically (even if you had 0 toe), it also moves laterally (due to the unequal length control arms).
        Inhibiting its lateral movement will cause the "internet myth" that freakygeek is referring to.

After I replaced my RTA bushes with solid poly ones, the car would noticeably understeer MORE through corners under load or when disturbed by bumps in the road (ie when the suspension is at full travel).

However with the short stroke suspension set up that most people on here run it is not as noticeable as on a stock car.

The ideal situation = replace all bushes with heim/rose joints, however probably not suitable for a road car.

Comment

experience from the track (Eastern Creek Raceway): car felt solid and did not exhibit any negative handling characterisitcs at all.

even at 180km/h around a bend...

hard (stomp) braking from 180km/h was stable, controlled and inspiring...
          ... retired/

Comment

i still don't understand how reducing an arms movement whilst retaining the arms range of movement is going to create a negative driving experience.

particualry if it reduces dynamic toe changes?

or is that bad - do you want the rear toe to be all sloppy and compliant?
            ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
              i still don't understand how reducing an arms movement whilst retaining the arms range of movement is going to create a negative driving experience.

particualry if it reduces dynamic toe changes?

or is that bad - do you want the rear toe to be all sloppy and compliant?
              My point is that like almost all components on a Honda, it is engineered there, for a reason.

From my understanding it is there to make mid-corner bumps safer and promote an understeer bias in these situations. Sure, not great for racetrack purposes, I'm just saying it's there for a reason and wanted to know the effects of the change.

Comment

My rta bushes are also shafted, same deal 180,000k's (only just bought the car though.) But I might just use OEM bushings since i can get them at trade.

Comment

Originally posted by chee View Post
                  My rta bushes are also shafted, same deal 180,000k's (only just bought the car though.) But I might just use OEM bushings since i can get them at trade.
                  New OEM trailing arms do you mean? lol

Comment

nope can get the bushings seperate.

Comment

Originally posted by chee View Post
                      nope can get the bushings seperate.
                      Got a part number on them? If you could find out that would be excellent.

Comment

32385-SK7N02

only sell them for one side not as a set.

might look at other options!

Comment

This seems like very very hard and need heaps of huge tools to get the job done.....
                          after readuing this,now i will forget about do it by myself...

Comment

been quoted $225 installed using superpro bushes. so i might go that option.

Comment

Originally posted by rucrzy View Post
                              This seems like very very hard and need heaps of huge tools to get the job done.....
                              after readuing this,now i will forget about do it by myself...
                              There's a will there's a way...LOL

I changed all the bushes in my car myself....just took alot of sweat (12 midnight to 7am...)

But at least I know its been done properly, not some unmotivated vehicle mechanic...
                              MFactory Performance Products

Follow my journey to Superlap at: http://nextstopsuperlap.blogspot.com.au/

Comment

eeek been told this could cost $400 for mine, anyone got a alternative link to this site ?

Comment

Working...
                                X