X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DC5r: Shuttering

Hey all

I think i might have a serious problem.

For the last few days i have been driving the car, and when i stop completely, and the revs drop to idle, the revs drop to 500 RPM, then jump back up to 800RPM (normal RPM). I know this is a common problem when a clutch is on its last legs (and i know mine is).

Anyways this may or may not be related. I was leaving a set of shops today, and i reversed, and when i started to stop, the car began to shudder... like it was almost stalling. I asked the passenger if she felt it, and she agreed. I want sure if i did let the clutch out early or not... so i kept driving. Got to the final destination about 2k away and went to park the car... and the shuddering started again, fully engaged the clutch, and it went away.

Parked the car and let it run for a little bit in natural.... then the shuddering started again... but quiet harshly. So I quickly turned the car off. Was freaking out for a little bit, so after a min, i turned the car back on... with the bonnet opened... and the car was shuddering a HEAP.... so quickly turned the engine off. A min later, my brother had a look, turned the car on... still shuddering like crazy, he reved it, and it stopped, but once it dropped back to idle... it began again.

The car isn't idling low (sub 500RPM) and the 3 times we turned the car on, it was in neutral. One of the exhaust sensors isn't plugged in (read: Wiring diagram thread) but hasn't been for about 2 weeks... and this is the first problem i have had.

as you can imagine I’m kinda freaking out, as i can only imagine how much it is going to cost to fix if its engine problem.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated

Robi

Update: Just tryed it again, but with the clutch fully engaged, and in gear. It just ideled smoothly, put it in neutral with clutch engaged, and smooth. As soon as you begin to take your foot off the clutch, it begins to shudder. I tryed reving the car to 2000PRM, and then release the clutch in neutral, and it shuddered.

So i'm kinda at a loss... cause the shudder is like the shudder you would get just before the car stalls, but its almost like the clutch just died, as it never really ever slipped.
    Last edited by 45SET; 10-06-07, 04:12 PM. Reason: UPDATE

have you checked your engine oil level?

Comment

Could it be your flywheel or engine mounts?

Comment

i dunno what happened, but i managed to drive the car home... and once i got home, the car was working fine.

BUT... before i left my brothers house, i had to reverse out of the car park i was in.... and after i had finished reversing, i was putting it into 1st, and it wouldn't go in... or 2nd... but would engage 3rd and so on.... put it into reverse again, and then first, and it went in fine.

I think it might have something to do with either the clutch/flywheel or gearbox mounts.

who do i talk to about getting a toda clutch kit?

Comment

I'd check the engine mounts too Robi. Here are some details for you on the clutch etc.

Adrian Norton
          TODA Racing Australia Pty Ltd
          Direct dealers for Portflow Design - Erick's Racing - Omni Power
          Dyno tuning / engine building / Licenced Workshop / Parts Supply
          Unit 2 / 14 Nello Place, Wetherill Park NSW 2164
          Phone: 02 96044421 Fax: 04 96044421
          Email: toda@todaracing.com.au
          †ÎM؃Ÿ†Î†§

One To Pin (12PIN)
          2002 DC5R
          183.8kW of Normally Apirated 2150cc Toda Power at the Front Wheels
          62.75s @ QR Sprints on DZ02G Semi's (stock engine)
          124s @ Oran Park Superlap on Toyo R1R's (Toda Powered K21.5)
          58.14s @ Lakeside Raceway on Dunlop Slicks (Toda Powered K21.5)
          60.97s @ QR Clubman on DZ03G Semi's (Toda Powered K21.5)
          59.03S @ QR Sprints on DZ03G Semi's (Toda Powered K21.5)
          1:23.01S @ QR National on Dunlop Slicks (Toda Powered K21.5)

Comment

You wouldn't have happened to have gotten water in your engine bay recently would you?

I had a similar problem when my spark plugs got wet

Comment

hmm... thats a good questions.... i did hose down the wheels of brake dust, and the bird poo off the bonnet and grill. since i don't have the grill anymore... it may have sprayed up onto it.

good thinking.

Comment

you would need to give it a jolly go hosing to wet the plugs. Your clutch doesnt sound to good. If you put it in first gear with engine stoped and try pushing the car (make sure hand brake is off as well), if the motor turns over you have a good clutch as well as being quite strong but if the motor doesnt turn over and you can still push the car then your clutch is had it.
                F/S: VTI-R Civic

Comment

Working...
                X