catch can DO U REALI NEED ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

catch can DO U REALI NEED ?

hi i have a DC2R im gonna track the car latter do i need a catch can (small cusco )?
    i have one at home but dont even know where to mount it
    is it worth puttink in ?

brother had one in his car (B18cR) and had it in there for a few months. he drives his car hard a fair bit.

the can was empty when he took it out.

Comment

My understanding is that a catch can simply 'catches' oil that has got to the top of the engine rather than recirculating it into the engine and burning it.

Pretty unnecessary on a street driven car.
      "No Matter that you have a PhD and have read all of Henry James twice. If you still persist in writing, "Good food at it's best", you deserve to be struck by lightning, hacked up on the spot and buried in an unmarked grave" (Truss, 2003, p.44).

Comment

Originally posted by 45SET View Post
        brother had one in his car (B18cR) and had it in there for a few months. he drives his car hard a fair bit.

the can was empty when he took it out.
        Are you sure you brother hooked it up correctly?

I had a B18c in a EG as well.

I used to hook it to the intake pipe and rocker cover and it didnt catch any oil on my first time at track.

Then a friend showed me i had to hooked it up to the PCV Valve, and my next time at track it caught about 1/4 of oil in my cusco catch can

Was using motul turbolight engine oil as well.

AS for daily driving, i didnt notice any oil being caught at all, and i did odd occasion fanging within the legal speed limit

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
        Horse power is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."

Comment

so realy there no need for a catch can aye pplz for the average street/ track car ?

Comment

Here is a pic of my above mentioned oil catch can set up.

As already said, this setup was in the car for quite a while...(ie, before i even bought the car)...There was no oil through the line and no oil in the catch can either. However, the fact there was a breather attachment might have something to do with that???

I have since taken the catch can out, and attached the breather to the rocker cover...I would prefer to have the oem setup however...this is a temp. fix.

Comment

A lot of people get this wrong, moreso wrong than right.

The 'normal' direction of air flow is from the Intake arm, to the Rocker cover through the motor, out the block, through the PCV valve, then to intake manifold, where it is burn it to the motor.

Because the PCV valve is a 1 way valve theres no point putting a catch can were the breather is on the rocker cover, because air is going 'in' to the motor there.

You need to put your catch can, between the block and the intake manifold. I have my catch can in between the PCV valve and the intake manifold. So it draws oil vapours through the catch can before its sucked into the motor.

You don't 'need' to install a oil catch can, but if you track your car then its probably a good idea.
              Last edited by DLO01; 31-05-07, 11:41 AM. Reason: more...
              Deano.

Comment

ok well given that description...the setup on my car was completely wrong anyway...so i guess there was no harm in getting rid of it...

Also explains why nothing was happening in there...lol

Installing it correctly would see results. (ie. oil)

Does anyone happen to have a picture of where the PCV line returns into the intake manifold...cheers.
                Last edited by zel05; 31-05-07, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by funkii View Post
                  hi i have a DC2R im gonna track the car latter do i need a catch can (small cusco )?
                  i have one at home but dont even know where to mount it
                  is it worth puttink in ?
                  the ITR already has (like most modern cars) a catch can that traps oil before circulatign crankcase vapours into teh intake manifold...

you need to decide if this is *adequate* for your purposes...
                  ... retired/

Comment

I'd think the condition of the motor would also play part in the amount of blow-by you get.
                    happyhong says:
                    aus only have 3 r
                    happyhong says:
                    civic R, integra R and jonnieR

Comment

Working...
                    X