CEL comes on around corner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CEL comes on around corner

Hi there guys...Long time reader...First time proper poster.

I thought i would come to you guys for advice...I figure i should do an introductory thread to proceed this query also...sorry...so rude

Ok, because i haven't intro'd myself, just quickly...

I have a EG5, with b18cR, box, brakes...the lot.

I think the engine has seen better days...from what i can tell, 130k's...However, i'm not 100% on that either.

I have had a recurring problem of a rattle somewhere at the back of the engine ... i presume the cat might be fooked. This rattle only occurs between 2500rpm and 3000rpm.

Anyway...I recently changed the 17inch rims that were on the car for some dc5r 16's...The handling characteristics of the car have changed dramatically!! (for the worse) Still getting use to the weird sidewall roll understeer...lol, then sling back oversteer.

Anyway...I have been slowly re-acclimitising myself to the handling of the car. I gave it a squirt around some big roundabouts...and the CEL came on for like a second, if that, then faded as i slowed rather then accelerate through the corner.

I am just qurious as to whether my symptoms are related to the CEL coming on. Also, maybe some explanation as to why the cel came on. Oil surge? Valve Stem Seals?

I am going to check the oil level in the morning...I only replaced the oil maybe 3000k's ago, with Motul Chrono 10w-40...Didn't change the oil filter at the same time, so i can't confirm when that was changed last. The previous owner said he serviced the car before he sold it...that would have been around 8000k's ago.

Any advice/checks/workshops you can reccomend in Brisbane/etc would be appreciated.

Cheers

Michael

P.S. This has only happened once. I am not going to push the car anymore until i remedy the situation.
    Last edited by zel05; 28-05-07, 09:16 PM.

maybe jump the service connector and find out what the code is?

the ECU it is self diagnostic, should be easier to let the ECU tell us what the problem is, rather than guess what it could be by your description of when it came on...

... retired/

Comment

I'll check it out tonight and let you know...thanks

Comment

The CEL test threw up code 20...Electrical load detector

BUT...having said that...and having a better look at the instrument cluster...It wasn't the CEL that lit up whilst going around the corner...

:S

Here is a pic of the eg gauge cluster.

The check engine light is shown down the bottom...that didn't light up. The Oil light is on the left hand side, that didn't light up. The handbrake light is circled in red, now i don't believe that i accidentally pulled up the handbrake when i have both hands on the wheel...I'm led to believe that whatever it is that is under the yellow circle is what lit up...however, I don't think anything exists there...weird.

Anyway, is error code 20 a big deal?

Comment

the following pic is a better representation of what MY gauge cluster looks like.

From what it looks like...that would be an abs light ?:S

Comment

If the rear engine mount was cracked...what symptoms would i have?

Comment

Originally posted by zel05 View Post
              The handbrake light is circled in red, now i don't believe that i accidentally pulled up the handbrake when i have both hands on the wheel...
              buuuuuut the handbrake light is ALSO the low brake fluid warning light...

a while back, just after my first B20VTEC, every time i hit VTEC my hand brake light would come on...

i was like WTF?!?!?

but it seemed that i was low on brake fluid and when i hit VTEC it pushed the brake fluid back in the resoviour so the brake level switch would be tripped...

my bet that the g-force of the round-about might do the same thing

also - the code 20 is more of a symptom of the hybrid swap than an actual problem, code 20 is nothing to worry about...
              ... retired/

Comment

ok sweet...sounds like it wasn't too much of a big deal then.

I will double check that my brake fluid is alright...but just keep an eye out for anything popping up in the future.

Thanks for your help Tinkerbell.

btw...I had a look at my rear engine mount...and there is a slight crack in the rubber...should i be concerned...lol. I'll try and get a pic of it soonish...

Comment

Working...
                X