Shift Lamp for Hondata S200?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shift Lamp for Hondata S200?

Call me a hater, but the shift lamp that work off the cigarette lighter don't do it for me. I just cant believe they'd be accurate enough.

What options do I have for decent shift lamps? Can anyone recommend one?

My Check Engine light is already setup as my Shift Light (by my tuner) but it's not as bright as I'd like..

Thanks

I had a pivot shift light that was a plug in style and it was bang on with the stock rev meter although stock rev meter isn't that accurate to begin with.
    your probably better off with an aftermarket rev meter.

Comment

i jsut addedd a 10mm LED from Jaycar to my engien light...

it is quite bright!
      ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by Bangz View Post
        Call me a hater, but the shift lamp that work off the cigarette lighter don't do it for me. I just cant believe they'd be accurate enough.
        Is your comment based on actual experience or just what you think?

becuase to an extent i believe you are wrong. They are more accurate then you think. Also with most shift lights you have the option of wiring it up to your RPM signal if you are really worried that it is not giving the right output.

Comment

Pivot ones come with cigarette lighter but they also have the option of wiring to RPM signal.

Comment

Originally posted by Jingers View Post
            Is your comment based on actual experience or just what you think?

becuase to an extent i believe you are wrong. They are more accurate then you think. Also with most shift lights you have the option of wiring it up to your RPM signal if you are really worried that it is not giving the right output.
            Based on experience, but moreso what I think.

I have my revs/rev limit available to me via my ECU. If you can convince me otherwise, that plugging something into my Cigarette Lighter will accurately show me my exact RPM's, I'm all ears. (FYI I know it monitors the rpm change based on voltage changes)

I'm thinking I might just get a new tacho, wiring it properly through the cylinders and set the RPM on it? I didn't think the stock one was too wrong/slow though?

Comment

i have always assumed that the ciggi lighter monitors ignition pulses that exist in the cars electrical system due to the high voltage firing of the sparkplugs, via the earth.

much like a timing light does... but more remotely...

pelase correct me if i am wrong...
              ... retired/

Comment

The pivot shift lamps (and possibly others) take 12v power from the cigarette lighter socket.

They can be setup to detect the pulse in the electrical system like tinkerbell said OR an RPM signal can be supplied to the unit but you still need it plugged in for 12v.
                happyhong says:
                aus only have 3 r
                happyhong says:
                civic R, integra R and jonnieR

Comment

Originally posted by Bangz View Post
                  Based on experience, but moreso what I think.

I have my revs/rev limit available to me via my ECU. If you can convince me otherwise, that plugging something into my Cigarette Lighter will accurately show me my exact RPM's, I'm all ears. (FYI I know it monitors the rpm change based on voltage changes)

I'm thinking I might just get a new tacho, wiring it properly through the cylinders and set the RPM on it? I didn't think the stock one was too wrong/slow though?

well that heavily depends on how anal you are. As someone else said your stock tacho is most likely not even accurate. The way most shift lights work is you simply drive to a certin rpm and then press a button and it records the pulse at that time and remembers it. Dodgey sounding but from what i have experienced, i have no doubt that it is as accurate in notifying me of the predetermined rpm as my tacho.

All things work off electrical signals. IE if you wire in the shift light to the ecu rpm wire i dont see how it is less accurate then say a stack tacho gauge wired in excatly the same way. I dont think wiring through dizzy/ecu would make a big difference too. Tried both ways and they were reading consistently similar

going off track abit there, but in the end as dodgey as the ciggy light method sounds and i was shocked when i first saw it work i have to say that it has performed great! Give it a try you will be shocked at how well it actually works. Try holding at certin rpm's too if you want to confirm
                  Last edited by Jingers; 28-03-07, 02:42 PM.

Comment

my pivot one is wired up to the ciggy lighter... from what i heard, the readings will be wrong if u had air con on (maybe its complete b/s?), but i tried it anyway before i hardwired it... it ended up working quite accurately with both aircon on or off

Comment

Working...
                    X