Bleeding brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bleeding brakes

Just wanted to know if there is any diferrances in bleeding procedures between ABS equipt cars an non ABS? I have bleed non ABS systems before but thought i would check before jumping in boots an all. Thanks
    F/S: VTI-R Civic

apparently there is no difference...

this is from the DC5's manual:

... retired/

Comment

Thanks Dave. I didn't know that you could DC5 manuals yet. They recommend dot 3 and say not to use any thing else naughty naughty all you dot 5 users out there
      F/S: VTI-R Civic

Comment

thats a bit strange as Honda's OEM brake fluid is DOT 4

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOT_3

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOT_4

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOT_5

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOT_5.1

also - the use of DOT 3 would be a MINIMUM, all DOT 3 means is the temperature...

more infor:

http://www.motul.com.au/fact_sheets/brake_fluid.html

NB - the fluid i use is DOT 4 "rated", but its dry boiling point is 312'C

http://www.motul.com.au/product_line.../others05.html
          ... retired/

Comment

I have to ask Tinks..

Is there a reason for doing front left first ? as apposed to what i usually do?

ie i start furthest away from the brake master then forward. ir brake master is on the front right

i do rear left, rear right, front left, front right?

main reason i asked is, is there a reason for doing the front left first as apposed to doing the longest line first?)

but regardless of what the manual says im still going to stick to my method because it works.. but i just wanted to know if theres a difference.
            Memorable quotes

Originally posted by Q_ball
            some say, his vtec was switched off on his last 4 outings at wakefield....

and that his foot comprises of only a heal and a toe...

all we know is hes called The Perry!!
            Originally posted by tinkerbell
            if those HA's are 7k old - i will eat my own arsehole...
            A wise man once said "Tok like Gay better than been like gay"

Originally posted by Wayne
            Never again complain about a honda's reliability just be glad you dont own an Alfa

Comment

I have to ask - why do you start at the wheel furtherest away - completely disregarding the manufacturers clear instructions in such a crucial safety area such as brakes??
              ... retired/

Comment

well i was always under the impression the longest line would mostlikely have the most crud in it hence take the longest or most fluid to bleed out..

But thats why i asked is there a reason for doing it front to rear instead of rear to front?

im not saying its the right way to do it.. im just wondering
                Memorable quotes

Never again complain about a honda's reliability just be glad you dont own an Alfa

Comment

well, obviously THERE IS A REASON, otherwise Honda would not have specified it in their manual would they?

if you think about it, conceivably maybe it might possibly have something to do with the ABS system, perhaps?
                  ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
                    well, obviously THERE IS A REASON, otherwise Honda would not have specified it in their manual would they?

if you think about it, conceivably maybe it might possibly have something to do with the ABS system, perhaps?

would that meen theres a difference in doing the Non Abs version then?

and if you had no ABS would it matter?

and actually i not sure about the abs version.. mines the High preasure one so i goto blead the ABS seprately to the normal brake lines..

hence my question ..
                    Memorable quotes

Comment

sorry to sound naive, but your questions are best directed to Honda Service Department personel,

i am unable to address your concerns...
                      ... retired/

Comment

I have bleed my brakes both ways. I find it I get the best results by following the service manual.
                        I am a lesbian trapped inside a male body

Comment

Hmm i found something interesting..

http://www.team-integra.net/sections...?ArticleID=417

Its an american site so they are LHD and their brakemaster is on the left..

But i dont have a copy of the helms manual or the acura manual so if someone has a copy of both years tell me if they are actually different

the part i was refering to was this

NOTE: If you plan to bleed all calipers you need to follow proper brake bleeding sequence: Check your manual for propper brake bleeding sequence. I believe 98-01 is front left, front right, rear right and rear left. 94-97 is rear right, front left, rear left, front right.
                          Discuss?

ohh btw its a dc2 integra i assume they are talking about .. it is a team integra diy page =P

leads on to my original question why does it make a difference and or Does it actually mater.?
                          Last edited by Wlee2; 20-03-07, 02:04 PM.
                          Memorable quotes

Comment

yes it matters, and its directly related to the prop valve and how its distributed. You should ask Andy wayno

Comment

when i flushed my brake fluid i started at the furthest wheel and came to the closest.

Does this mean i should go back and redo it for some reason ?

Also is it normal for brake fluid to leak a bit when doing this ?
                              /Oo ___H___ oO\
                              |=_/_______\_=|

Comment

Working...
                              X