Is it worth turbocharging a DC5R?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it worth turbocharging a DC5R?

Had my dc5r for a while now and while I do love the n/a sound and power, I just would prefer more of it. How much power would be achievable on a safe tune if I went the turbo route? Also how much would it cost? Would it be cheaper to just stay n/a? Thanks.

Just my opinion. It's not worth it if your income is low like mine: It could cost roughly 5k to get it all working and tuned and it will definitely be faster in a straight line. I have a base model and they say a turbo build can just barely get 300whp before it comes to unsafe for the motor so a type r will definitely be more I assume. It'll be fast but you will also get used to that power and will eventually want more so that feeling you have now will be there again after the turbo build. Upkeep for a turbo car is also more pricey then na. However if u want to make your na car fast it will probably be expensive as well. In other words HP=$$$ if you have the money go for it. It's not necessairly cheaper to stay na if you want power. It is cheaper to stay stock tho. The Honda reliability would not be there with a turbo setup but if you have the time and money to maintain the car then it should be fine. There's just to many factors to list and I really think it comes down to money and time and if you would rather have a na scream or turbo flutter.

Comment

Ok thanks for the help. I think I will probably stick to na as I can't afford a full turbo and the maintenance and stuff like that. Is it known how much hp a k20a2 can get while being na? Mine put 180whp with just headers.

Comment

You can probably double your power + a tad more with stock internals safely. Unfortunately u would have to ditch ur headers if u go turbo ): turbo would definitely be a fun build. Just money is a issue ):. If your looking for hp gains I do think turbo is the cheaper option in the end tho. A full n/a build costs a lot more just for lesser hp which is why turbo is popular. The n/a track cars in Japan usually don't have high hp. They are usually tuned for balance with the chassis to be fast on the track.
        This might sound contradictory however if your looking for hp gains go turbo. 500hp turbo build is cheaper then 500hp n/a build. My opinion tho is that if u have a dc5 chassis and k20a2 engine I recommend starting with I/h/e/tune. Why? Because this would bring out the full potential of your motor as it was detuned by Honda for emissions and streetability reasons. This is also is a base for either a turbo (minus header) and n/a build. Engine management system (tune) should be your first mod for more hp. If it's still not enuff then u can decide what route to go for more hp.

Comment

Check out Warwick's build to see how much work is involved - http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthre...for-more-boost!
          ClubITR | Like

Comment

So your saying I should get an intake and ecu and a good exhaust? How much power would that on a k20a2? I've got headers allready.

Comment

Hmm Im just stating routes u could take and u can decide on what u want. I don't really want to tell u specifically what route to take as everyone is different when modifying their car. Everything has pretty much been tried and done and there's tons of info out there.
              Last edited by 2003dc5; 20-06-16, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Tony I have had my dc5r turbo for about 5-6 years on a stock k20a2. This made 195 kW/260hp on 7 psi on a gt30 size turbo and a poor flowing log manifold. With good tyres it is quite fast, a little faster than 325kw Ve Through 3rd 4th. This set up was mostly a second hand greddy kit, different turbo and manifold and kpro. Doing all the labour myself it total cost around 7-9 grand. It's the things like the ecu, clutch, exhaust, good tyres, injectors, bov, waste gate and little bits and pieces. Mantanice is not that much more than should normally done but heat management is important. Also the first two gears and not as enjoyable to drive as the torque is very hard to control but after second gear it is crazy fun!
                There are many better platforms but I love it.my current build is another level in cost,quality and hopefully power.

Comment

Working...
                X