Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DC2R/B18C7 Inconsistent Idling Issues

Hey guys,

I'm new to the Honda game and have a few questions relating to my Integra. The car is a 2001 Integra DC2 Type R, and has 208xxx kms. Serviced regularly, runs well, except for a few things that I'd like to share with you guys and see what you can make of it.

#1 Occasional weird start
    Usually when I start my car the idle reaches 1500rpm quickly, then quickly drops to 1000-800rpm when the vehicle is fully warm. However every now and again, the car doesn't 'fire up', but turns on and creeps up from 2-300rpm to 1500 and sits there for a while before slowly returning to 1000-800rpm. Every time this has happened to me the car has been at operating temperature, and started after the fuel pump has primed. It feels like a cold start even. Weird.

#2 Idle drop
    When idling, many things can cause my idle to drop. These things include:
    • Turning on headlights
    • Using a power window switch
    • Turning the steering wheel (using power steering) - I've checked for power steering leaks, and also checked the fluid level. All is well.
    • Coming to a stop (depressing clutch pedal) the idle will reach 800rpm, then sometimes dip below to 500-600rpm and cause a vibration.

I've just recently installed a new O2 sensor and reset the ECU. Also I've nearly finished installing all of my Hardrace 62A engine and gearbox mounts, however these issues were present before installing them. The car also has a lightened Spoon flywheel. The car does also have a moderate sound system, amplifier and rear 6x9's. Also my battery terminals have seen better days, but they fit on the battery posts tight. I understand the car is old, but I'm just curious.

I have suspicions that the alternator is going bad, perhaps so is my battery, or even idle control valves need cleaning. I'm just not sure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Initially, I was going to say replace O2 sensor - but it looks like you've addressed that already.

Your sound system is probably drawing more power from your battery. Perhaps you might need a capacitor for the sub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by lammy View Post
      Initially, I was going to say replace O2 sensor - but it looks like you've addressed that already.

Your sound system is probably drawing more power from your battery. Perhaps you might need a capacitor for the sub.

I actually don't have a subwoofer, just the 6x9's in the rear.

Comment

Best solution is to take it to your mechanic

Comment

Originally posted by lammy View Post
          Best solution is to take it to your mechanic

That's the easy way out :P

Comment

try tuning it up with cheap solution first maybe. things like adjust dizzy timing, tps, check alt voltage engine on/off, load test battery, clean iacv.

Comment

check for vacuum leaks.
              ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
                check for vacuum leaks.
                Just found a vacuum line that is runs lengthways across the steering rack and is not connected to anything on either end. Each end has a small metal clip. Not sure where it would connect back into...

Comment

That line isn't a vacuum line so I've now found out

Comment

I had this issue in my B16A EF9 - it was the IACV (Idle Air Control Valve) - when hot and FITV (Fast Idle Control Valve) - high idle when cold. The former needed to be cleaned out with carby cleaner and new seals, the latter I replaced.

Might be worth taking a look at those next.
                    1988 CRX
                    1999 Integra Type R
                    2020 Civic Type R

Comment

Originally posted by Setanta View Post
                      I had this issue in my B16A EF9 - it was the IACV (Idle Air Control Valve) - when hot and FITV (Fast Idle Control Valve) - high idle when cold. The former needed to be cleaned out with carby cleaner and new seals, the latter I replaced.

Might be worth taking a look at those next.
                      Awesome, thanks for the info. I'll investigate the two valves tomorrow after my exam.

Using these writeups as reference
                      Last edited by scrowetom; 12-06-16, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Issue #1 doesn't sound like an issue.
                        Issue #2 do what others have suggested

Comment

Working...
                        X