Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JDM Vs AUDM DC5R

Hi guys,

So I am not after a list of what the differences are, I know about a quarter of the internet is dedicated to that.

What I want to know is what are the real life advantages/disadvantages of going an imported DC5R Vs an AU delivered one?

So things like:
    1. Does it cost more to insure a JDM DC5R?
    2. Is the JDM DC5R more likely to have had a hard life and tracked more?
    3. Is the JDM model more likely to have had the odometer tampered with?
    4. Is the JDM model more difficult to re-register (on the assumption it is already registered, but rego lapses or something, or change of ownership process etc)
    5. I think this one is unlikely, but would the JDM model have any consumable parts on that would be more difficult or costly to procure?

Thanks in advance

1. A Victorian owner of a former JDM DC5 told me it was more expensive to insure, as they didn't have the Japanese DC5 on their records to price against. Due to it's lack of records, it went up astronomically. Insurance quotes are nothing you can't look up yourself and compare the two.

2. I don't believe you can generalise the two, as it would realistically come down to the available cars you have to buy, assuming you're looking at purchasing one. Just know you're buying a sports car, most would be used with the occasional VTEC here or there at a minimum.

3. Potentially, since there are those stories about dodgy grey Japanese Importers winding back the clock, however JDM DC5 wasn't available as a grey import - only personal. So I wouldn't assume the same owner would wind back their clock, no more than anyone with the intentions to do so;- could be done on any car.

5. Brembo front brake pads aren't as widely available in comparison to the AUDM counterpart, as the AUDM shares the same brake pads as S2K and EP3R. The Brembo brake pads only share the same as the Nissan 350Z Track. Rotors need to be also fit JDM.
    Other things that may need to be considered is suspension components would be harder to source. I'm under the impression drive shafts are longer, as i've read there has been a difference, but yet to measure myself.

Disadvantage of a JDM over AUDM is the JDM has more limited wheel sizes due to the Brembo and rotor size, being wider than the AUDM.
    K20A is better than K20A2.
    JDM has no immobiliser.

Just some of the biggest differences off the top of my head.

Comment

Working...
    X