No announcement yet.

Is the K20A really that special?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is what I am getting to, in the article it says that the highest torque per litre car ever produced is the Ferrari 458 at 540nm from 4.5L, basically 120nm per litre of capacity.

With that in mind, let's assume the K20a can put out 240nm of torque at its peak.
    To make roughly 190kw atw, the motor would need to make that peak torque at over 9,000rpm (240nm at 9,000rpm is 226kw at the flywheel).

What rpm does your 160kw B20 rev to?

I will do my best to find the member's ride thread as the peak hp rpm was to memory about 8,500.
    I know the obvious answer is the claims are untrue, but even on k20.org there are many people talking about 300hp K20s

Comment

it's weird, i still cant work out precisely what you are asking?

are you asking -

1. can a K20A make 200kW?

or

2. what is it about K20A that means it can make 200kW?

or maybe both

the answer to 1 - is yes, and yes, probably with stock rods and pistons,

the answer to 2 - is the engineering (and choice of engine ratio).

look at the SR20 - another prolific HP making engine, it is 86x86, and have you heard of a 2JZ? also 86x86... makes 1000HP on stock internals...

this is no coincidence.

in fact, people with 87mm bore B18C engines are close to square, and if i was building ultimate B-series NA, that's where i'd go... probly not rev to 10K but it would zing well past 8.5krpm pretty easily!

but yea, Honda's advanced 50 degree CAM timing technology (over the B series basic VTEC) is the key to a tuner extracting all the kW out of a K - and the key to THIS is the tuner and his tools (not sexist, i just dont know of a female dyno tuner)
      ... retired/

Comment

To add to that list, the 4B11T is 86x86mm and more impressively so it the Bugatti Veyron engine.

Is the 50 degree cam technology unseen in other motors?
        So then the way I understand it, what makes a K20a be able to make so much power is a number of relatively minor things but ultimately comes down to really well flowing heads with a very good cam timing and lift system that no other manufacturer makes?

Comment

you keep saying 'make so much power'

i keep asking compared to what?

it makes shit power compared to a K24 frankenstien- doesn't it?

anyone building a non-class based engine would never use a K20, they would use a K24 in a split second, and look at the K24's R/S ratio!!!
          ... retired/

Comment

Comparing it to its own stats (ie, 2L atmo 4 cyl motor)
            More specifically the kw per litre is really impressive.
            I mean, at 230+kw at the crank in modified form, that's 115kw per lite from a naturally aspirated motor which is what I mean by so much power.

Comment

but, yeah, but it is Honda.

that is its purpose, that is why it exists.

to question this is to miss the point......

... retired/

Comment

Working...
              X