Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DC5R Dynamic Camber

Hi guys,

So one of the advantages of SLA suspension is the dynamic camber that can be dialed in.

Seeing as the DC5R went to MacPherson struts, I assume this was lost to a great degree?

I notice though that the strut tops on the DC5 Integra are slanted, unlike most strut tops on other MacPherson strut equipped cars.

Is the primary reason for this to induce some level of dynamic camber or are there any other benefits?

Examples:
    Evo VI

DC5R

There's no way to get any worthwhile amount of negative camber gain with bump travel with a McPherson strut. The positioning of the strut top would simply be a compromise of engine bay space, cabin space, wheel well space, suspension geometry. The engineers would have positioned the front struts to give the best compromise of those quantities.

It's hard to determine how leaned over the strut is visually like that. An accurate measurement of that quantity is the steering axis inclination (SAI). The DC5 SAI is quite high, at about 18° from memory. Minimising SAI is one of the main reasons hi po McStrut cars have fancy modified designs like the new CTR and the Ford Revo Knuckle

Comment

MacPherson struts get a tiny bit of dynamic camber as the LCA straightens up relative to the strut and hence the wheel extends a bit further out from the LCA being level with the axis it connects onto the crossmember.
      I guess with the 18 degree SAI on a DC5 this would allow positive camber change further into the suspension travel compared to say the Evo... at least from what I can picture in my mind anyway

Comment

Working...
      X