B18C2 Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

B18C2 Rebuild

I'm looking at rebuilding my B18C2 motor. I'm not looking for any substantial performance related benefits, mainly looking for reliability and longevity. I'm also looking for the most cost-effectiveness way to do this as well. I'm looking for people's previous experiences as to what they did and what worked best. I guess I won't know until I pull it apart the extent of any damage but any help prior to this would be appreciated

I have no experience on b series engines but the plan should always be the same.
    First work out what you want to get out of the engine or intended use.
    Second work out a realistic budget.
    Third research research and research some more.
    by your post you sound like you have most of this under control. Only thing I suggest is build it for you and your taste not others and most things take twice as long and twice as much as you first think.

Comment

Intended use is primarily street with the occasional hill climb. But I'm not looking at building a "race motor". Current driving for instance, flat foot in second sends a fair bit of smoke out the exhaust. Plus it's burning a decent amount of oil. I'm topping it up regularly (maybe once a week, sometime less often, sometimes more often depends on driving style). Would it be reasonable in suggesting the piston rings would be pretty well shagged?

First thing to do would be a compression test yeah? That would give a decent indication of what I'm looking at without just ripping the whole thing apart cause it's my daily driver haha

Budget wise I wouldn't have a clue since I've never done this before haha but I don't really want to just leave my car at a workshop for weeks on end and rack up a massive labour bill. I would prefer doing as much work as I can at home (I have most tools + engine cranes etc) and just take the head to be cleaned up and bored out and whatever else necessary like that.

Comment

so maybe just oversized type R pistons, 81.5mm plus bore/hone

full head job

blueprint bottom-end, new bearings

new water pump, oil pump, timing belt kit, bottom-end gasket kit, VRS gasket kit

13-row Earls oil cooler & lines etc

new alloy radiator

so looking at around $5000ish....

to consider;

new clutch & LSD, fuel system upgrade (surge tank), ITR cams, ITR valve train, Skunk2 intake,ITR 4-1 JDM header, 3in cat, 65mm exhaust... Hondata...

i have a few lists that could help.

but untill you name the number - we're all just guessing...
        ... retired/

Comment

Working...
        X