Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DC5 fuel filter wire

Hey guys.
    I have recently took the risk to try and change my fuel filter on my dc5 by myself to try and learn to do more things on my own. However I messed up and accidentally ripped a thin copper piece which was connected to a black wire and the fuel filter black clip. I tried to electrical tape it together but the petrol in the tank dissolve the sticky stuff.. I fitted everything back into the car with the black wire still dangling. The car starts and seems to run fine however the fuel gauge is stuck on empty with the petrol light on. I left the car at home and took a bus cos I'm worried the fuel pump might fail. What does the black wire do? Do I need a whole new fuel pump just cos I snapped the copper piece off the wire? Why did my fuel gauge stop working properly? I've tried searching but couldn't find answers.

http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/...%20R/155-2.jpg here's a link of the black clip the wire was connected to which I broke. The link is just from a tutorial I used and not my car.

http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/...pe%20R/158.jpg another picture of the black wire with the copper piece at the end which I broke.
    Last edited by 2003dc5; 13-01-16, 02:42 PM.

Comment

It's hard to tell in the picture but u should have a total of four wires. Positive from fuel pump relay when running, negative for fuel pump(larger 2wires) Negative for fuel tank level sensor, signal wire for fuel gauge. Givin the car runs and gauge dose not it is for the fuel sender/ gauge.
      You can solder the copper plug pin to the wire and cover with heat shrink and gently refit to the the plug making shore it clips in.

Comment

Thx much appreciated. I didn't think about soldering that should fix it. i have 5 wires connecting to the fuel filter from pump. Basically : There are 2 in pairs and 1 by itself. I broke the one by itself.

Detail: there is one black socket with 1 black and 1 blue wire.
        One white socket with 1 red and 1 black wire.
        Then there is one black wire by itself isolated from the others. < this is the one I broke. It's currently not connected to anything. I just need to know if its safe to drive the car as I probably won't be able to solder it back together In a week due to work. It's okay if the gauge doesn't work. As long as there's no engine damage or fuel system damage.Sorry about the lack of good pictures as I'm currently at work.

EDIT: I've read on ep3 forum that what broke could possibly be earthing wire. Can someone confirm? Does this mean it can ignite my tank as it's just dangling in the fuel tank?

http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/a...1-29100225.jpg here's hopefully a clearer picture of the wire and the bit of copper which I snapped and now won't stay in the black socket.
        Last edited by 2003dc5; 13-01-16, 09:39 PM.

Comment

It will be fine to drive. the other wire is likely to be for fuel empty light on dash.

Comment

Working...
          X