Critique possible oil temp sensor install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Critique possible oil temp sensor install

Since going on maternity leave I have alot of free time, so I began rethinking my oil cooler setup. As mentioned in my thread the hardest part of the install is deciding how I am going to tap oil pressure and temp.

Now just quickly there is essentially a few different methods on tapping here for the two items above.
    • Oil Pressure: double stacked sandwich plates, oem oil pressure location, inline gauge fitting where the oil cooler hose is.
    • Oil Temp: double stacked sandwich plates, tap the sump or use the oem drain plug with an adapter fitting, inline gauge fitting where the oil cooler hose is.

Now I had concluded that I was going to run two pressure gauge fittings off the sandwich plate, and then start my hoses. I am not sure if this is the best setup as I am not confident I'd get accurate readings of either oil temp/pressure. My thinking to this is the flow of oil when below 93C due to my Mocal sandwich plate with thermostat might not flow enough oil to log accurate oil temp?

So I began looking at alternatives. Almost everyone reccomends to tap the sump for oil temp. I really didn't like this option as to you would need to undo the threads on the defi sensor (possibly) and the adapter plug for every oil change. I dont want to be buying new sensor esepcailly every couple of years and whatnot, plus I have the fumoto drain valve as well...

So heres a thought, why not tap oil from the sump and still retain fumoto drain valve which would make oil changes much easier, and no requirements for undoing the fittings each oil change!

I ordered this as it was just $26 - Aeroflow metric extension M14 x 1.5 both male and female ends, and a 1/8NPT for sensor. Will be using a spacer here to convert for the 1/8PT defi sensor also.

So from the pan, aeroflow fitting, and then the Fumoto valve. the defi sensor would sit on top.

I do see two downsides to this though, hopefully my mitigants stand up against it though...

1 - weight. Adding the aerflow extension and defi sensor along with the fumoto valve puts extra stress and could lead to cracking of the sump... As the drain port on the S2000 pan is recessed in, you must use an adaptor to fit the futomo valve:

This piece is rather chunky, and I have had this adaptor and the fumoto valve for 9 months with no issues... The Aeroflow item is made of alloy so im confident that it is much lighter than this adapter, even combined with the defi sensor. so if i substitute the aeroflow item for the fumoto adapter, I should be fine!

2 - inbility to read oil temps. Traditionally you would get an adapter fitting to fill the sump plug, and on the end of the adapter is a small hole to screw in the oil temp sensor. This then means the actual sensor is protruded and kept in the bath of oil to read temps. For my proposed setup, the sensor will actually be outside of the oil pan, and instead of being inside the bath of oil, it is pointing facedown in the pipe for the sump plug. Now I am having thoughts that this might only read oil if I was to turn right, and oil swishes to the left and hits the sensor. Now I believe that even stationary, the defi sensor will still read oil. This is because I have drained oil before with the car flat, on all fours....

At the end of the day, I can test this before I finalise the oil cooler hoses, and this test would have only cost me $25 and a few hours... fingers crossed it all works, however I would like any positive/negative comments etc!
    Integra Type R
    Integra Type S
    S2000

Could have sworn you were male Alex, but now that you've gone on maternity leave...hope you have an easy birth.

Comment

TLDR - where are the questions?
      ... retired/

Comment

TLDR Tink

Off the sump, adapter fitting, fumoto drain valve.

1- extra weight on this fitting be ok?
        2- with the temp sensor point down and not actually protruded inside the sump, will it still read oil temp?
        Integra Type R
        Integra Type S
        S2000

Comment

the proper way to do this is:

1. remove sump.
          2. weld a bung to the sump,
          3. refit sump
          4. put the sensor in bung.

the sump plug should not be fked with.

i cannot answer you questions as to me they are not something i would have ever tried or done.
          ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by plAythiNG View Post
            TLDR Tink

Off the sump, adapter fitting, fumoto drain valve.

1- extra weight on this fitting be ok?
            2- with the temp sensor point down and not actually protruded inside the sump, will it still read oil temp?
            I'd just put a bug in the sump and be done with it, it is the ideal location for reading bulk oil temp.

There will be some difference between reading it from your proposed sump plug location vs submerged in the oil pan but you won't be able to quantify it without probing up all locations and logging the temps on the same drive. It may be only 1 deg different or it may be 10, maybe if it is sticking out far the airflow past will cause a larger variation than you think? Or it may stabilise at approx the same temp once everything is heat soaked. Who knows, it will only be a guess without testing it.

To me I wouldn't want all those adapters hanging off your sump plug, eventually something will inevitably leak or get damaged, better to have the sensor somewhere that doesn't need to be accessed regularly and has less chance of being knocked around.

I've used 3 different test points on mine (not at once, only have one sensor so I can't directly compare measurements with any real meaning). One was a sandwich plate at the original oil filter location, one was at a remote filter mount around where the p/s pump used to be on a b18c and now in the oil pan.

The first 2 locations I didn't really notice a difference either on road or at the track. Moving it to the sump I noticed increased time to reach normal operating oil temp but about the same peak temps, this is what I expected.

Comment

Yeah well I have already bought the fitting so might as well test it. I have data tapping at the oil filter oem location

My first test is idle on flat surface and seeing if temp increases. If it does i guess it works !!

Thanks for letting me know sump temps are longer to warmup/read when comparing sump to sand which plate. Guess it's due to volume

Agreed best setup is via separate Bung but I already removed previously n welded b baffle..
              Integra Type R
              Integra Type S
              S2000

Comment

Hey Alex,

Long time no chat mate, hope you are well.

In my opinion, trying to pick the absolute best location which is difficult to install might not be the most feasible.

I agree with tinkerbells method of the bung. It's futureproof and the sensor is easily removed and replaced if required.

What's the main purpose of the sensor? Do you really need degree accuracy in the hottest location or are you better off working with a safety factor in place. For example, if you know that you're not picking up oil from the hottest location, then maybe you should log it from where you see best and allow for safety margin (e.g. sensor goes off at 120 deg instead of 130/140).

With oil pressure, the key would be to continually maintain constant pressure and not have any pressure drop.

For true absolute readings, it's possible as well but to what accuracy are you after? I guess it becomes a cost/time thing. Maybe speak to some race car builders - they probably have a good idea about where to fit the sensors.

At the end of the day, you'd be hard pressed to do any more than 10 laps in a row unless you're in some form of competition. Anyhow, keen to see which direction you take mate

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk
                Wakefield: EG B18CR - R888 - 1.09.9
                Eastern Creek: DC5R - RE001/ER300 - 2.00.8
                Winton: DC5R - RE001 - 1.45.9

Comment

Hey Kevin,

Hope all is well with u bro.

Agreed that an extra Bung in the pan would have been the best when I got my baffle welded in, but it's all been reinstalled hence why I'm trying this setup to see if it all holds up well.

I just received the part yesterday so will at the very least give it a go and see how it reads....if it doesn't go to plan, at least it has been tested and I can look at alternate options
                  Integra Type R
                  Integra Type S
                  S2000

Comment

Hey Kevin,

Hope all is well with u bro.

Agreed that an extra Bung in the pan would have been the best when I got my baffle welded in, but it's all been reinstalled hence why I'm trying this setup to see if it all holds up well.

I just received the part yesterday so will at the very least give it a go and see how it reads....if it doesn't go to plan, at least it has been tested and I can look at alternate options
                    Hey Alex,

The result you'll be able to get is that the sensor actually works haha. If you have the luxury of testing multiple locations that would be awesome. Maybe shine temp gauge on the sump vs sandwich plate to see where its hotter.

Good luck with it all!

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk
                    Wakefield: EG B18CR - R888 - 1.09.9
                    Eastern Creek: DC5R - RE001/ER300 - 2.00.8
                    Winton: DC5R - RE001 - 1.45.9

Comment

I'm trying this setup to see if it all holds up well.
                      you're talking about the most critical part of an engines survival mechanism?
                      ... retired/

Comment

Like I said, at the moment, off theoem bung, I have an adatper, and the fumoto valve.

Proposed will be aeroflow adapter, fumoto valve, and I will have defi sensor screwed in as well. The adaptor fitting currently on it is quite heavy so I believe the weight should be the same... like I said, I have the part already, so might as well try and see how it goes... I highly doubt setting it all up, will see any fail of the pan so I can have a look. I will see if I can get a metal cable tie to support the adaptor form above, and take off some extra strain also
                        Integra Type R
                        Integra Type S
                        S2000

Comment

has anyone else ever done what you are proposing to do?

any visual images of it?
                          ... retired/

Comment

I have an oil temp sensor in place of my sump plug via an adapter. I haven't had any issues with cracking or leaks etc. I've had this setup on 20+ track days.

I've never had the sensor installed anywhere else so I can't give comparisons on oil temp differences

I'll take a picture for you Alex the next time I do an oil change. It might be a while though because it's not on my daily.

Comment

do you have the drain valve thingy too?
                              ... retired/

Comment

Working...
                              X