DC2R Water Temperature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DC2R Water Temperature

Alright so I have a DC2R with an Apexi Power FC ecu and hand controller. I constantly monitor the water temperature (wish I had oil temp and pressure). I am starting to think it may be on the high side.

When I bought the car it had a thermostat that failed open and it would never exceed 90 degrees; when I got it replaced it would sit on 92 degrees. Now over a year later it mostly sits on 94 C (201 F) and I wanted to see if this was too high for daily use. The temperature will never exceed this unit unless sitting in traffic after a long drive.

I believe the thermostat removed was a 79 C and it was replaced with an 82 C, would these 3 C's cause any issues?
    Integra Type R 01 #136

I think 94C is relatively the norm?

Not sure what radiator mods you have?

My old DC5 (K20Z1) with no cooling mods, water temp was read via defi gauges off the upper radiator hose was around 90-92C street driving

My S2000 (F20C) with Koyo radiator, mugen fan switch and thermostat, water temp again read via defi gauges off upper radiator hose shows street water temp around the 82C mark.
    Integra Type R
    Integra Type S
    S2000

Comment

that is perfect.

don't change a thing.
      ... retired/

Comment

I do not have any cooling mods, all stock components. Nice to know it's not running too hot!

I am curious, would a nice Koyo or Mishimoto radiator bring the temperature down much. Is it beneficial to have a ~87 C running temp over a ~94 C, as in less stress on the engine etc?
        Integra Type R 01 #136

Comment

IT IS NOT BENEFICIAL TO RUN AN ENGINE AT BELOW ITS DESIGN TEMPERATURE.

it is anti-beneficial to run an engine below its design temperature.
          ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by ITR136 View Post
            I am curious, would a nice Koyo or Mishimoto radiator bring the temperature down much.
            the thermostat controls the temperature of an engine, not the radiator.
            ... retired/

Comment

That is my question.... if the thermostat is 82 C instead of 79 C (stock) can the optimum design temperature be maintained by the system?

Also does anyone have proof to show what the stock design running temperature is?
              Integra Type R 01 #136

Comment

so - the temperature 'rating' of a thermostat is when it starts opening.

not when it is fully open.

the stock thermostat should be fully open at around 90'C on a Integra... and the thermo fan switch makes the fans comes on at ~95'C

so the DC2's cooling system is designed to operate between ~90 and ~95 degrees.

and yes, i have data logs showing my engine stays in this range with OEM Honda thermostat.

(however, once you depart from a car's initial *design parameters* like drag racing, circuit racing or similar - that's when you start to need to reconsider the temperatures and supporting parts (radiators) to cope with going beyond what the manufacturer could design for...)
                ... retired/

Comment

Yes I understand this is the opening temperature, I was just was not sure if the 3 degrees difference meant the thermostat fully opened at 3 degrees more, i.e 93 not 90.

Thanks for your help.
                  Integra Type R 01 #136

Comment

Working...
                  X