Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird noise after installing headers

Hey guys

I just had my headers installed on my dc2r they were PLM TRI Y standard tubes and also got a flex,hi flow cat with it, all were new. However after driving for a bit I noticed a weird sound when I accelerate.
    It sounds like a hissing, splutter sound..
    I've come to the conclusion that it could be the slip joints ? Are you meant to weld these together? do you guys weld these together ?
    Just wondering if this is normal ? or has anyone else experienced this and what was it and what did you do ? Everything seems to be fine just this weird noise...

I also have a resonator and mugen twin loop if that helps.
    any help will be appreciated, thanks!
    sorry if I sound like a nub

have you looked at the slip joints, you could see a blackening if the exhaust is leaking out.

this is dangerous as it can poison you in the cabin.

if the header is leaking - take it back to where it was installed and tell them to do a proper job.
    ... retired/

Comment

Hi,

I may be wrong but please feel free to correct me. From what I've been told, due to the quality and how thin the headers are it causes

a hiss when you accelerate. (I may be wrong) And of course, it could've be the slip joints too.

Comment

If it was the slip joints that are coming loose, you should notice the smell of pre-cat converter exhaust gases (smells really strong compared to what you'd smell on the tail end). I take a closer look at the headers, paying attention to see if any of the slip joint clamps are loose. They do come loose over time.

Should be a small nut and bolt that clamps the two pipes together.

Source: I own i've got PLM headers on for DC5 which have had slip joints leak, causing a rattling noise (the clamp bolt bouncing around) and hissing noise (the leak itself) and might be my paranoia, but acceleration flat spots when driving. Also pressure of the exhaust gases felt from around the leak and most noticeable is the smell!

Comment

http://imgur.com/a/3hjBU

@tinkerbell
          Is that black burnt bit, what youre talking about? other than that I dont see any visible leaks
          I've taken it back to hume mufflers, he said its pretty common for these to make that hissing sound and that tinny noise, but he said if it goes worse I can take it back.

@ghuynh93
          Yes, thats what I heard as well that its pretty common for PLM headers to make this hissing noise

@butter
          I've noticed an awful smell when I first drove it out of the shop but after about a few drives I didnt seem to notice it anymore...(or did I get use to it) LOL nah i dont think the smells there anymore.
          I jacked the car up today to look for leaks and see if it was loose, everything seems to be fine and tight
          How did you go about to fixing it, did you just tighten them up again or did you weld them?

Is welding them a no go? because I heard the slip joints are there to create flex when it heats up

Comment

Originally posted by B18ITR View Post
            http://imgur.com/a/3hjBU

@tinkerbell
            Is that black burnt bit, what youre talking about? other than that I dont see any visible leaks
            I've taken it back to hume mufflers, he said its pretty common for these to make that hissing sound and that tinny noise, but he said if it goes worse I can take it back.
            nah,no signs of leak there...

all good.
            ... retired/

Comment

Did you need to extend o2 sensor wires?

Sent from my HTC_One_mini_2 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
              X