Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering rack riser. Is it necessary?

Hey everyone,

So I've sourced some aftermarket tie rods to improve the toe adjustment in the front after a coilover install on my DC5. The guy who's selling me is also going to give me a steering rack riser kit which I believe is made by Tegiwa.

The idea of this kit is that it raises the steering rack to OEM height after lowering your car to help reduce bump steer.

It looks like a bit of a pain in the ass to fit but if it does reduce bump steer that would be great since I daily the car. I can't find many reviews on the internet and the ones I do see shows that it hasn't helped people in some cases, and they haven't felt a difference.

Does anyone here have this part installed? What are your thoughts?

Since you're already changing the tie rods which is a pain in itself, installing in the steering rack raiser should be easy while the tie rods are out.
    1999 Formula Red S2000 Blog

Comment

You would want the tie rods to be parallel to the ground when static. This will depend on the the shock arm design and how much you lower the car. Don't just slap stuff on your car because they exist.

Comment

That's a good point t-bagger, one that didn't really stick in my head. I've just had a look and the tie rods aren't parallel when static. they slope upwards a bit. This is the best pic I could get

Comment

The riser kit would definitely make them sit more parallel, but whether they actually make a difference or not in terms of driving feel, no idea. Haha.

Comment

Those steering brackets are stupid, don't bother fitting one unless you fit it upside down to lower the inner end of the steering arm. That *might* have a positive effect, but the only way to know is to set your ride height, measure the bump steer, and then re-measure after installation.

Originally posted by T-BaGGeR View Post
            You would want the tie rods to be parallel to the ground when static. This will depend on the the shock arm design and how much you lower the car. Don't just slap stuff on your car because they exist.
            This is not true, but a common misconception. For minimal (zero is not achievable on any of our production cars) bump steer you want the steering arm (imaginary line through the inner and outer ball joints of the tie rod assembly) to be pointing at the instant centre of the front suspension (on a macpherson strut this is intersection between the plane of the lower control arm, and a plane perpendicular to a line through the upper strut mount and the lower ball joint). Very unlikely that this will be high enough to require flat steering arms. Flat steering arms almost guarantees horrendous bump steer, as on a DC5 the instant centre will be low and quite close to the ground or below ground level.

In short, don't mess with it unless you can measure and know what you're doing.

Comment

Originally posted by ChargeR View Post
              Those steering brackets are stupid, don't bother fitting one unless you fit it upside down to lower the inner end of the steering arm. That *might* have a positive effect, but the only way to know is to set your ride height, measure the bump steer, and then re-measure after installation.

This is not true, but a common misconception. For minimal (zero is not achievable on any of our production cars) bump steer you want the steering arm (imaginary line through the inner and outer ball joints of the tie rod assembly) to be pointing at the instant centre of the front suspension (on a macpherson strut this is intersection between the plane of the lower control arm, and a plane perpendicular to a line through the upper strut mount and the lower ball joint). Very unlikely that this will be high enough to require flat steering arms. Flat steering arms almost guarantees horrendous bump steer, as on a DC5 the instant centre will be low and quite close to the ground or below ground level.

Listen to this guy. He knows his stuff. [emoji106]If you want more info check clubrsx.com in the suspension subforum.

Comment

Originally posted by ChargeR View Post
                Pretty much me in a nutshell in terms of suspension tuning. Haha.

Comment

Thanks ChargeR you've been very helpful with all my alignment and suspension questions in the past couple days which is really appreciated. I'll disregard this sort of modification then and just focus on getting the correct suspension alignment setup for my car.

While I have you here, are Hard Race inner tie rods any good from what you've heard? If they're proven to be as strong as OEM tie rods then it'll be a good option compared to todd's tie rods. I don't want a similar scenario to J's racing tie rods and have them snap.

http://www.hard-race.com.au/index.ph...product_id=576

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                  X