Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake Rotors/Pads for a DC2R

Hi Everyone,

I am looking to replace the brake rotors and pads soon. My current setup is stock rotors and aftermarket pads (not sure what brand).

I am thinking about DBA T2 rotors (don't do track work so don't need T3's)

And Project Mu NS400 pads

Is this a good combo for the street, i.e. cold braking, low noise/dust? Any advice would be cool.

Cheers.
    Integra Type R 01 #136

A good choice, the NS400 should be a OEM'ish like brake pad with everything you'd want. Brake well cold, low noise and dust, easy on the rotors. Vendor on CITR garage460 sell's these pads.

The rotors seem good, but in my opinion rotor choice doesn't matter all too much, especially for the street. So OEM blank replacements will more then suffice, but those DBA T2's do look good.
    1999 Formula Red S2000 Blog

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I wonder how much stock dc2r rotors are from Honda? The best price I found for a pair of T2's was $239 which I thought was reasonable; and yeah they look great as well.
      Integra Type R 01 #136

Comment

Thought I'd attach a braking test for my car. If any of you have had a similar test what were your results.

Vehicle Braking Test.jpg
        Integra Type R 01 #136

Comment

ive actually never seen a braking test graph like that, but im kinda curious how my car would perform.

Comment

Yeah it was done by a Repco mechanic as a part of a service. I have only ever seen another one for a DC5 and performance was much less (~3000 N) and had an uneven force distribution.
            Integra Type R 01 #136

Comment

Originally posted by ITR136 View Post
              Thanks for the advice. I wonder how much stock dc2r rotors are from Honda? The best price I found for a pair of T2's was $239 which I thought was reasonable; and yeah they look great as well.
              My bad I didn't see this question, I wouldn't buy OEM from Honda, that'd cost a lot. Just buy replacement blanks from RDA or DBA, I bought mine of EBAY for less than $130 brand new for an S2000.

Comment

Anyone got a recommendation of a decent well priced pad that can handle track sprints?

The previous owner had been using EBC red's but put on some bendix ultimates on before selling. They were ok for the first 2 x 5 lap sessions but after that went really badly. Now they pretty poor until they are warm and have minimal cold bite.
                I hear good things about QFM a1RM's but I wonder if they might be a bit too street orientated? Car will probably be tracked 10-12 times in the next year.
                Last edited by TTim; 30-10-15, 11:10 PM.

Comment

TTim what car, engine, and brake caliper/disc setup? I think if the Bendix Ultimates aren't suited to your use, then the QFM A1RM would probably be inadequate too. You need a proper track oriented pad. I've used the Project Mu street/track pads in the past with good result on my DC5R. The compound I used is now discontinued, but I've heard good reports on their new RC09 club racer pad.

On my CRX I use Hawk DTC60 (w/ K24 and standard 262mm SiR brakes). They work well, good feel and no fade evident on the track. They're wearing very well at the moment, but are harsh on rotors when cold so wouldn't suit if you do a lot of street driving.

Comment

The PMU HC+ have served me very well in my stock powered S2000, I highly recommend them. They have been great on the track with little fade and has consistent braking performance with the stock caliper setup.

As stated above the QFM A1RM might not suit your needs since the bendix pads weren't good enough. Although I have used the A1RM on my daily EK1(D16Y) on track a while back and still use them for daily use and can't fault them.

I've heard great things about the RC09 from other S2000 owners and they love its performance on the track which may suit you better.

Comment

I forgot to add car details!

DC2R - stock engine, bilsteins+unknown lowered springs + whiteline F/R sway bars on RE003's (will go semis in the future). Stripped + caged (so close to standard weight?), stock caliper on an unknown slotted disc.
                      Probably driven ~50km per week on the street and used only for sprints (nothing longer than 5 laps).

I haven't thought about project Mu, might have a look.
                      I was reasonably happy with how it pulled up initially but after a few heat cycles they have really gone off big time. No cold performance and only mediocre warm performance.

Comment

Oh if it's stockish power the HC+ should suffice, the braking performance has been extremely consistent and have decent cold performance on the street. They have been great for me with my stockish powered s2000 on track. But I am looking to try the RC09 in the near future.

Comment

TTim, where are you based and what size wheels do you have?

I have a complete big brake kit for sale - the same I use on my DC2R. It's a Works Engineering kit, 4 pot monoblock, 300mm rotors, steel braided hoses, and pads.

Cold performance is like stock, and hot, it works great too. A couple of guys here have seen my car go around Wakefield at the last JDMYard track day...Yonas estimates I did about 20 laps in one session, and had no issues.

It will need a 16" rim, and I had to skim the inside of the hat by 1mm to fit the DC2R hub (it's meant for FD2). I have it advertised in the For Sale section, and am happy to flex on the price.

Comment

I'm always curious about what brakes to get on my dc2r looks like I'm due soon for new brakes and rotors, the project mu ones look good but my mate has it on his dc5r there so squeaky when braking he has them on the T2 rotors, right now I just got RDA slotted rotors and I think bendix brakes, Phil on here was telling me ferodo brakes are good ?
                            I'm wanting to go the T2 rotors but don't know what brakes, something that's not squeaky and low brake dust plus good performance ? Any ideas?

Comment

PMU has street friendly variant, the B-spec pads are suitable for the street with no noise and low dust. Rotors don't matter too much. What's wrong with your current set of RDA slotted rotors? If they're within spec, I'd get them machined instead of buying new rotors.

The Ferodo DS2500 are suitable for street/track. Not sure about noise and dust levels but if they're similar to the PMU HC+ it should be very street friendly, well at least in my experience.

Comment

Working...
                              X