Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EP3R Inner Tie Rod Replacement Help

Hey guys
    Ive searched quite abit but I can't seem to find a reasonable answer to changing the inner tie rods of an ep3 or dc5. Preferably with out taking the steering rack out. If anyone has any info on how to remove and replace them please let me know. thanks guys!

There is a DIY on clubrsx.com.
    Search under

"DIY: 0857 bracket install".

It's all there.

Comment

Originally posted by T-BaGGeR View Post
      There is a DIY on clubrsx.com.
      Search under

"DIY: 0857 bracket install".

It's all there.
      Thanks mate! I saw this one but wanted to see if there was another method out there with out moving the exhaust manifold. Thanks mate

Comment

I've done it a handful of times following a procedure basically the same as in that DIY on CRSX. It's not easy, but it's possible. It's a bit more difficult on an EP3 too because of the shape of the firewall. I've also taken the steering rack out of my car before, and would rate that as more difficult that removing the inner tie rods with it still in the car.

Comment

Originally posted by ChargeR View Post
          I've done it a handful of times following a procedure basically the same as in that DIY on CRSX. It's not easy, but it's possible. It's a bit more difficult on an EP3 too because of the shape of the firewall. I've also taken the steering rack out of my car before, and would rate that as more difficult that removing the inner tie rods with it still in the car.
          May I ask how you did it on the ep3? I've order a spanner with a socket on it in hopes that may make it easier coming from the side along the rod. What method did you use without taking the rack out? Thanks

Comment

I followed the method in that DIY, unbend the lock washers on the inner tie rods as best I could, and then undid them with an adjustable spanner with various other bits attached to it to get enough leverage in the confined space. If you're really struggling removing the exhaust manifold should give you plenty of room to swing a spanner from beneath, and I've also considered making a custom tool in the past by cutting the end off an adjustable spanner and welding on a 1/2" drive adapter so you can use a ratchet/breaker bar on it at strange angles. Sorry it's been some years since I messed around with DC5/EP3s so I can't remember the specifics.

Comment

Originally posted by ChargeR View Post
              I followed the method in that DIY, unbend the lock washers on the inner tie rods as best I could, and then undid them with an adjustable spanner with various other bits attached to it to get enough leverage in the confined space. If you're really struggling removing the exhaust manifold should give you plenty of room to swing a spanner from beneath, and I've also considered making a custom tool in the past by cutting the end off an adjustable spanner and welding on a 1/2" drive adapter so you can use a ratchet/breaker bar on it at strange angles. Sorry it's been some years since I messed around with DC5/EP3s so I can't remember the specifics.
              That custom tool you are talking about is what I have made! Then I found that I could buy one... I'll follow this DIY then. Much appreciated mate!

Comment

It's called a crow's foot. You shouldn't need one. I just used an adjustable spanner with a pole on the end of it for leverage.

Comment

Originally posted by T-BaGGeR View Post
                  It's called a crow's foot. You shouldn't need one. I just used an adjustable spanner with a pole on the end of it for leverage.
                  Ahh that's the name. Ahaha. Thanks mate appreciate the help a lot !

Comment

Working...
                  X