Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

B18C Oil Pressure Relief Valve Behaviour

Hi everyone.

I'm looking for some feedback from people running oil pressure gauges on B series.

Something I've noticed with mine is that when the oil pressure hits 77-ish psi as the revs are climbing, it will quickly reach 87-ish psi and then drop back to 79psi and progress upward normally throughout the rest of the rev range.

I believed this may have been a sticky relief valve in the oil pump, so when installing my baffled oil pan I removed the relief valve and thoroughly cleaned it, oiled it and made sure the piston moved easily in the valve.

I could move it back and forth with a screw driver fairly easily and with minimal force, so it doesn't seem sticky to me.

Doing this didn't change the behaviour at all. So I'm wondering, for those out there with B series using oil pressure gauges, does your pressure briefly spike before the relief valve opens? Can anyone confirm if this is the normal behaviour of the relief valve?

I'm not really too concerned about it as it's not causing any issues, but it's really picking at my brain because I can't seem to find many similar examples when searching online.

A few things to note:

- I rebuilt the engine 17,000km ago and used a brand new OEM ITR oil pump
    - I have an oil cooler now and have done the washer mod to the relief valve piston which has given me some additional oil pressure but had no effect on the spiking behavior
    - I'm using 10W-40 synthetic oil and hamp oil filter
    - I've checked with a mechanical gauge to confirm my AEM digital gauge wasn't bogus and got the same result
    - Readings were taken around 80-90C oil temperature

Bump, anyone able to share some experience here?

Comment

Anybody? Lol

Comment

normal.
        ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
          normal.
          Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by DVL-DC2 View Post
            Thanks!