Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DC2R Gearbox issues

Hi Everyone,

I have an issue which is baffling me with my 2000 DC2R (142000klm).

Last April I changed my clutch to an Exedy Sport as I could feel the original clutch (also an exedy sport)
    was not as positive as it should be and getting a bit noisy from the bearing.

Also I was starting to experience a 2 really weird things, the first being that when starting the car in neutral,
    it would slowly creep forward, and when reversing and letting the clutch out, would suddenly grip wuith a thump and while
    reversing, if you push the clutch in, the car would jerk to a stop as if it suddenly got to the end of a bungee cord.

So at Christmas, I changed the fluid to Motul gear oil as the mechanic had originally used a Valvoline one and this seemed to solve the
    reversing issues (not completely) but then I started getting 2nd to 3rd crunching of the gears when changing, and when cold it certainly
    didnt like going from 3rd to 2nd but once the car warmed up this was OK. and if you start the car in neutral it could drive out of the garage by itself..

So now, last weekend I changed the fluid again to Honda MTF and the 3rd gear crunch gone completely, but when the car is cold it still will
    not change from 3rd down to 2nd until the car is stopped or warmed up, and the reversing bungee cord issue is back with a vengeance. Negligible creeping forward now in neutral.

I have been trying to work out whats wrong, and it all sounds like it will be expensive, as I think there could be some diff issue, and who knows what for the cold gear change refusal.

Any ideas?

As the engine needs rings etc, was hoping to maybe just get another engine and box complete, but if I rebuild the box should be good for another 140K.

Thanks
    Chris

Pull the box out before it does any more damage. It's transmitting a noticeable amount of torque in neutral, so something is buggered and dragging on something else when it shouldn't be with the shift forks in the neutral position, or the shift forks are bent/damaged. If you pull the gearbox out now maybe you can avoid anything serious.

Comment

Thanks ChargeR, will have to try and source a box then, this is a daily driver and can't have too much downtime, it's a shame as I thought it should last a lot longer and there doesn't seem to be a lot of people having gearbox issues compared to everything else.

Comment

A mechanic friend will be looking at it tomorrow, he thinks something has broken or come loose which could be causing one of the gears to bind against the idler gear when reversing. I am being ultra careful with it and not reversing if I don't need too, which is a pain as I reverse into the garage each night.

Comment

Any update?

Comment

My mechanic just reconditioned my gearbox it had two parts in it that where faulty got the parts from honda Melbourne, changed the clutch to excedy and machined the fly wheel also fixed rear main seal all up was 1900 my car feels so different more torque and responsive I love it, I had a knocking noise all through my gears very ugly noise and loud if your in the car

Comment

Which Exedy clutch Ibby? I was thinking of picking up the Sports Organic soon. Not sure where to go either though hahas (Extreme Project World maybe)
              00' DC2 Honda Integra Type R | NH592P | DC2R
              13' ZN6 Toyota 86 GT | D4S | CNN-66E
              15' ZN6 Subaru WRX STI Premium | CBS | EBU-36R

Comment

Hey everyone I'm just interested in buying a DC2R. Is there anything I need to watch out for gearbox wise? Car has done around 165xxxKM.

Comment

MAKE sure it has 165xxx... a lot have been winded back which is so dodgy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X