removing tinting - rear window

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

removing tinting - rear window

i need to remove my tinting (my rego guy wont pass car with it on)

the side windows were easy, but the rear window is being a pain and i cant scrape it due to the defroster...

anyone know a good method that they know works?
    ... retired/

Ammonia and heat. Use a heat gun or a hair dryer. I removed mine recently and it was pretty easy.

Comment

how does it come off? i dont want to scrape it?
      ... retired/

Comment

You don't have to scrape it. Put some heat on the corner of one of the edges. You might have to use your finger nail to start it off. Keep applying heat and peel it back slowly.

That way the adhesive comes off together with the tint and less clean up for you.

Comment

sorry, should have been more specific - the tint is off, i have to remove the adhesive?

will it be the same process?

i pulled teh tint off the drivers window, then was able to pull the adhesive off with the help of a scraper...

but the rear adhesive seems to be baked on? and cant get it to start peeling? it is very brittle and just crumbles... it is probably over 12 years old...
          ... retired/

Comment

My experience was with a 16 old Magna where the rear window tint warped and reduced visibility.

I used a garment steamer to heat up the glass and glue, scrapping at it with a razor blade. The defrosting wires scraped right off, some of it attached to the sheets of tint. The glue was almost stained on the glass, and I only managed to improve the visibility slightly. Maybe my mistake was melting the glue and peeling the tint off, separating the two (tint and glue), leaving the glue on the windscreen?

There was still blurry patches of glue remaining which, even more heat nor "Glu-off" (or similar products) failed to completely remove the glue.

Hope your attempt is much more successful than mine! Also be careful with the de-frosting wires, they're easy to scrape off!

Comment

Oh, you are screwed then
              Wd-40 works well to remove the adhesive or canola oil.

Spray it on or rub the oil on there and let it soak with some heat. Rub off with a paper towel.

Comment

steam gun

Comment

nah, it cant melt the adhesive.

was first thing i tried...
                  ... retired/

Comment

Working...
                  X