Tein SuperSports on DC5R bouncy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tein SuperSports on DC5R bouncy

Hey fellas, I just have a few questions to ask !

I have a DC5R with some Tein SuperSports and over bumpy roads, the car seems to bounce. The settings on the dampers are set to its softest mode.

Would like to know if any other DC5R owners have experience with this. And anyway to help with this problem.

Regards
    Last edited by cwdc5; 26-08-14, 07:58 PM.

Driving your car over a bumpy road and your car seems to bounce?

Sounds like physics to me. You'll learn it when you get to Year 7.

Edit:
    Before the mods reach for the ban stick, are you saying your tyres are lifting off the surface because of the stiff suspension, despite being on the softest damper setting?
    If so, a way to help with this problem is, surprisingly simple; slow down.

Coilovers are stiff regardless of your damper adjustment and if you're driving at a pace or through such bumps that your tyres are lifting off, so much, that it warrants you to create this thread, then you're probably driving recklessly to the road's condition.
    Last edited by butter; 26-08-14, 09:36 PM.

Comment

I had buddyclub n+ and they were bouncy in the softest setting as well. They are entry level coils. It sounds like your dampers arnt matched well to your spring rates.

Cheap alternative is to change out your springs for some custom rates of your choice.

Comment

Try stiffening the damper settings. I suggest start from the hardest setting and working your way back. This may or may not reduce the bounce. If this doesnt work. Sell the coilovers and go back to stock suspension or get a bag of concrete and harden up.
        sigpic

Comment

It's to be expected that the car will feel bouncy when on the softest damper setting. The main function of the damper is to control the oscillation of the sprung/unsprung mass system, and it will probably only do this well, ie. with minimal overshoot, or "bounce" at one particular part of it's adjustment range. Probably toward the stiffer end of adjustment. As suggested by Hau, try increasing the damper adjustment progressively to see if it improves. Note that the damper adjustment most likely affects both bump and rebound damping, so harder settings will most likely make the initial impact of the bump feel stiffer, as this will be affected by the bump (compression) damping.

Originally posted by butter View Post
          Driving your car over a bumpy road and your car seems to bounce?

Sounds like physics to me. You'll learn it when you get to Year 7.

Edit:
          Before the mods reach for the ban stick, are you saying your tyres are lifting off the surface because of the stiff suspension, despite being on the softest damper setting?
          If so, a way to help with this problem is, surprisingly simple; slow down.

Coilovers are stiff regardless of your damper adjustment and if you're driving at a pace or through such bumps that your tyres are lifting off, so much, that it warrants you to create this thread, then you're probably driving recklessly to the road's condition.
          You need to learn the basics of how a damper works before shooting your mouth off. Coilovers are not stiff regardless of damper adjustment, in some cases it is possible to improve perceived compliance over bumps by going to an aftermarket damper (with threads on the outside for height adjustment of course, otherwise it's not a "coilover"!) and stiffer spring rates. Aggressive posts like yours that make ridiculous assumptions about the thread starter won't be tolerated in the Technical section.

Comment

Originally posted by ChargeR View Post
            You need to learn the basics of how a damper works before shooting your mouth off. Coilovers are not stiff regardless of damper adjustment, in some cases it is possible to improve perceived compliance over bumps by going to an aftermarket damper (with threads on the outside for height adjustment of course, otherwise it's not a "coilover"!) and stiffer spring rates. Aggressive posts like yours that make ridiculous assumptions about the thread starter won't be tolerated in the Technical section.
            Apologises to the thread starter for the unnecessary insult and rude tone. I'll take it back. You can make that Strike 2 following the LiteX vs Nikolas thread ()

My statement of that 'coilovers are stiff regardless of damper adjustment' is wrong. I meant to say, 'In general, common aftermarket dampers, such as on the Tein SS, will be stiffer than factory shocks, regardless of damper adjustment'.

I wrote my post without putting more thought into it.

In respect of the technical subform's rules, @thread starter, can you clarify that the 'bouncy feeling' issue you're having?
            Is it the feeling of the car's weight unsettling over these bumps or are you experiencing loss of tyre contact from the ground?

If its the latter, as you're on the softest damper adjustment, I would suggest, in your case, slowing down when you approach these bumps on the road, as a stiffer damping setting maybe worse depending on the speed you're traveling over them. Is this issue occurring on the street?

Otherwise, the former, as suggested above, progressively work down from stiffest adjustment in damper until you find a balance of comfort for daily driving and stability in your cars feel going over these bumps.

If you're concerned with this issue in your daily driving, then in general, just slow down over bumpy roads (whether its aftermarket damper / shocks or stock suspension). It never hurts to slow down on the streets!

Comment

To much pre-load on the springs maybe?
              02 Indy Yellow s2000::::::04 Arctic Blue Pearl DC5R::::::05 White B2600::::::10 Ibis White Q5

Comment

Working...
              X