DC5 - Shifter Play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DC5 - Shifter Play

I've noticed a small amount of play in my gear shifter, which I'm sure is quite common, if not standard in these Integras. I'm really happy with the ease and feel of the shifter, I would just like to remove the play in the shifter.

To the best of my knowledge there are 4 options:

1 - Replace Cable Bushings

2 - Replace Shifter Area Bushings

3 - Replace Shifter Ball + Pivot Ball + Shifter Springs

4 - Short Shifter Kit

Referring to the video below, which do you think would be the most effective solution?

I've always liked the shifter in the S2K, was stiff, precise and had 0 play at all. I was able to get the same feeling on my civic by installing aftermarket shifter bushings. I thought I could do the same to my DC5 however they made very little difference to be honest. Not sure if I got poor quality ones but I don't see how it could make a difference since they're all made out of solid metal...

Anyways, I'd suggest to to number 3, I've heard good things about it and it's what I want to try next.
    http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=789001

Comment

Thanks for your response Keyman.

If you get a chance to install the MTEC Option 3 solution, please let me know how you go.

In fact I would be very interested to hear what kind of effect just adding the shifter/pivot ball would have, before installing the springs. I don't want my shifter to be too hard to move... just looking for that 0 play.

Please let me know if you go down this path... thanks!

Comment

Just thought I'll update this thread. Got some new shifter parts cheap as I was in the US recently and took advantage of free shipping for parts.

I initially installed solid metal shifter cable bushings and they made no difference (I actually think it made shifting worse, the shifter felt "mushy" and didn't have a good spring back into neutral). I have since installed the Hybrid Racing bushings which have a spherical bearing and allows 2-degrees of freedom vs 1-degress for the solid metal ones. They make a huge difference! Not so much with stiffening up the shifter but they make shifting more precise, gears are easier to find and slot in and the shifter springs back to neutral much quicker. The shifter still has a bit of play as shown in the video though.

I've also got the MTEC race spring and pivot ball. I haven't had time to install the spring yet but I have done the pivot ball and so far I've found it hasn't made too much of a difference. I'm hoping the spring will give the stiffness and 0-play I'm looking for.

Comment

Ktuned billet shifterbox + Ktuned shifter cable will fix this issue easily
          JDMyard Pty Ltd / Hardrace AU
          25 / 317-321 Woodpark Rd , Smithfield , NSW 2164. Contact : 97572365
          Email : yonas@jdmyard.com

Comment

Working...
          X