Rounded a hex bolt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rounded a hex bolt

So i was taking my headers off and i slipped a few times and now i have rounded a bolt.

Its the middle bolt on the engine block aswell.

I'm feked aren't i?, stuck with xforce headers for life...

Any thoughts on getting it out?
    AUTO | Ktuned @ 115.2 kw atw | ITR Cams-TB-I/M | XForce 4-2-1 | Toda Catback | Mugen Intake | Whiteline | Buddyclub N+ | Buddyclub SF3

Hammer on a one size smaller socket on the nut and try that. Or vice grips

Comment

already tried to use a size 13 socket, doesnt fit...................yet and not much space for a vice grip
      AUTO | Ktuned @ 115.2 kw atw | ITR Cams-TB-I/M | XForce 4-2-1 | Toda Catback | Mugen Intake | Whiteline | Buddyclub N+ | Buddyclub SF3

Comment

You could use vice grips if you have enough room..
        Shak's S2000

Comment

heres a kicker, when i unbolted one bolt, there were engine block threads on the screw..................... about 5-6 threads..

Comment

You can use a twist socket to get the bolt out.
            sigpic MRDC5S

Comment

You may have to assess the threads that are damaged and consider a helicoil to fix them.
              sigpic MRDC5S

Comment

- Soak in WD-40 overnight to help your next attempt at taking it off. Careful when there's a hot engine.

Whenever I came across this, I'd attempt the following:
                - Try using a single hex socket. (Works most of the time)
                - Try using a file and smoothing out the flattened angles (Never really works but its free)
                - Get a Dremel and cut a line into it. Turn it with a flat head screw driver.
                When all else failed, I went to bunnings and bought myself a set of Irwin Turbo Extractor Sockets. Use them once and then returned it for a full refund.
                (Lol, gotta note that the package I even bought was also used as the sockets were all oily when I bought it. I at least cleaned it before returning lol)

Comment

With the amount of room you have to work with, you are best off skipping all the little steps and going straight to the extractor sockets otherwise you will waste a lot of time for no reason
                  Sleeping Performance & Mechanical Repairs: Balance, Feedback, Response

Ph: +61397947767
                  Address: 6/253 Princes Hwy, Dandenong VIC 3175
                  Email: josh@sleepingperformancemr.com.au
                  Facebook: www.facebook.com/sleepingperformancemr

Comment

Originally posted by sleepingperformance View Post
                    With the amount of room you have to work with, you are best off skipping all the little steps and going straight to the extractor sockets otherwise you will waste a lot of time for no reason
                    Are these the same as the snap-on twist sockets Josh?
                    sigpic MRDC5S

Comment

Im fairly sure they are Cameron. Every company likes to have a different name for them
                      Sleeping Performance & Mechanical Repairs: Balance, Feedback, Response

Ph: +61397947767
                      Address: 6/253 Princes Hwy, Dandenong VIC 3175
                      Email: josh@sleepingperformancemr.com.au
                      Facebook: www.facebook.com/sleepingperformancemr

Comment

Originally posted by butter View Post
                        - Soak in WD-40 overnight to help your next attempt at taking it off. Careful when there's a hot engine.

Whenever I came across this, I'd attempt the following:
                        - Try using a single hex socket. (Works most of the time)
                        - Try using a file and smoothing out the flattened angles (Never really works but its free)
                        - Get a Dremel and cut a line into it. Turn it with a flat head screw driver.
                        When all else failed, I went to bunnings and bought myself a set of Irwin Turbo Extractor Sockets. Use them once and then returned it for a full refund.
                        (Lol, gotta note that the package I even bought was also used as the sockets were all oily when I bought it. I at least cleaned it before returning lol)
                        Irwin Turbo Extractor Sockets? they sound like some hectic sockets, gna check it out!! =D as long as the price isnt the same as a snail

Comment

Working...
                        X