Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broken LSD?

Hey guys,

Recently my EP3 has been making clunking/clicking noises when the car is rolling at very low speeds (0-20KM/HR).
    But when the throttle or brakes are added, the clicking noise goes away.
    The noise is coming from the gearbox area.

Are you able to help me diagnose whats wrong with my car?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by cwdc5; 16-06-14, 01:24 AM.

check your wheel nuts.
    ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
      check your wheel nuts.
      +1. Also could be axles, wheel bearings, just about anything that rotates. It is extremely unlikely to be related to the differential itself, because it's a gear type diff it was broken there'd be chunks of metal floating around in your gearbox and things would go pear shaped very quickly.

Comment

It could even be CV joints or even broken engine mounts (Engine rocking back-and-forward).

Is it making the clicking noise when the steering wheel is turned full lock and you roll forward? Or just in a straight line?
        Last edited by 45SET; 16-06-14, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys.

Definitely not engines mounts.
          I will check my lugs as suggested.

And its only happens during low speed cruising that the sound comes on. Anything 40km/hr + nothing.

Its when the car starts to slows down is when the sound appears. As soon as throttle or brakes are applied the sound goes away.

Comment

Go around a low speed corner and have the clutch in/neutral. Does the clicking sound get louder?

Comment

check wheel nuts as suggested.
              Have you or anyone done any work on the car recently? anything that may have been removed or loose?

Comment

Tracked the car recently and still using the same tyres?
                1) Try and rotate the tyres from front to back.

Could be loose tie rods?
                2) Check your Tie Rod Ends to see if they haven't popped out loose.

From experience, if it was loose wheel nuts, the wheels would have come off by now :P

I was able to pin-point a whiny noise from my gearbox by having the car in the air on the hoist, and accelerating as slow as possible in 6th gear. I had the help of friends and this was kinda dangerous. I would only suggest it if you're fully confident in doing so

Originally posted by ChargeR View Post
                Also could be axles, wheel bearings, just about anything that rotates.
                When people say 'axles', do they mean drive shafts?

Comment

Thanks for your help butter !

You were actually correct, it was loose wheels nuts. So lucky the wheels haven't fallen off. Been Driving around in it for the past few days.

Turns out OEM lug nuts and aftermarket wheels are no good !

Upgraded to Rays lugs now.

Thankyou all again !

Comment

Wow, it was loose wheel nuts!?

In the two times I've forgotten to tighten them up after taking the wheels off, at only finger tight, I start getting the wheel knocking noise within the first 2-3km from my driveway.
                    When pulling over to the side of the road, they're visibly loose, so I'm surprised you were able to drive around for the past few days with loose wheel nuts.

How many were loose?

Comment

Originally posted by butter View Post

In the two times I've forgotten to tighten them up after taking the wheels off, at only finger tight, I start getting the wheel knocking noise within the first 2-3km from my driveway.
                      When pulling over to the side of the road, they're visibly loose, so I'm surprised you were able to drive around for the past few days with loose wheel nuts.

How many were loose?

Dam... I must have been lucky.

There were about 3 loose on each side on the fronts only !

Comment

Originally posted by butter View Post
                        driveline noise diagnosis - you start at the outside and work your way in...

and yes, 'axles' is an americanism that aussies seem to have happily adopted... however, it is just a shortening of the term "drive-axle" - which is correct description of the shaft.
                        ... retired/

Comment

Working...
                        X