Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car won't start after new distributor install

Hey guys

So recently my dc2r was struggling to start when the engine is fully cold. Although it struggled it would eventually turn over and start. When it was warm it would start easily from then on, until I leave it to fully cool down. Also I should mention that once the car is warm and i've been driving for a while at times mainly in the lower gears and below 2000rpm, the car would sputter/misfire.

As a maintenance precaution I changed out my ignition leads to NGK knowing that i needed new ones anyways. This didn't help, car still struggled to start. Then i changed out the spark plugs to NGK irdiums and still no help. Last I replaced a whole new distributor and this is when the problem occurred, now it wont start at all.

I marked the position of the distributor before taking it out and made sure to line up the new one exactly. I checked that all my ignition leads were reconnected in the right order

3 4
    1 2

I checked all ignition coils and there are sparks coming from each, which means the distributor is working (I even removed the distributor to make sure I installed it correctly and in the right way). I checked the battery and its perfectly fine.

When I say it wont start, I mean the engine doesn't even crank i just hear what sounds like a buzzing sound which seems to be the starter motor. It seems that the starter motor cant turn the engine.

I've been doing some reading and I know some suggested that it could be the timing since the distributor may have moved....but even if it moved slightly the car should still start it might just be rough right?

Have any of you guys experienced anything similar?

any help or input would be much appreciated

Thanks

Try clutch starting the car. Your starter motor sounds stuffed. Should rotate the motor regardless unless the battery flat or immobilisers wont disengage.
    sigpic
    128.8kw Atws @ 1065kg - 13.875 sec @ 100.26 mph http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthre...ion&highlight=

Comment

battery is flat.
      ... retired/

Comment

alternatively - you have put the dizzy in upside down and the tangs on the distributor connector have broken off and are jamming the intake camshaft so it wont turn.

(99% battery & 1% the above)
        ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
          alternatively - you have put the dizzy in upside down and the tangs on the distributor connector have broken off and are jamming the intake camshaft so it wont turn.

(99% battery & 1% the above)
          Thanks will take off distributor tonight to check. I checked my battery and it seems fine it definitely has enough cranking power, but then again it is an old battery so I'll try replacing it to see if it works. Thanks

Comment

if it dosent crank over, then you dont have cranking power.

or something is impeding the piston/crank/cams/etc

charge it up for 12hrs-see if it cranks then...
            ... retired/

Comment

if it dosent crank over, then you dont have cranking power.

or something is impeding the piston/crank/cams/etc

charge it up for 12hrs-see if it cranks then...
              Okay so I know I need a new battery since the current one is over 5 years old and is weak. I replaced it with a new one today....still no start. I opened the oil cap and got a mate to try and start the car and I can see the camshaft moving, so there is nothing impeding the distributor turning the camshaft. I have taken a video of the sound that it makes when I try to start the car I will upload a YouTube link shortly. At this point I still have to check the fuel pump/filter for any blockages. If that fails I'm stumped, unless some sort of fuse has blown

Comment

This is the youtube link to the noise it makes when I try to start the car
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awkHGuNLRrc

Comment

yeah, you gonna need to take a picture of the distributor.

like this:

sounds like could be broken.

but definitely sounds like you have broken something...
                  ... retired/

Comment

yeah, you gonna need to take a picture of the distributor.

like this:

sounds like could be broken.

but definitely sounds like you have broken something...
                    Will do I'll take it out tonight and upload a photos. Others have suggested I installed in incorrectly 180 degrees out. Only thing is if it's not installed correctly it would be really hard to force in? The distributor fit in perfectly without any force. But I'll take it out tonight to make sure

Comment

you can't install it 180 degrees out - it breaks, but the drive piece can be on upsdide down - that is what i am asking you to take a picture for.

it is a poor video - but really sounds like you have no compression?

is that video with the spark plugs in?

also - where did you get the distributor from?

have you tried using the old one?
                      Last edited by tinkerbell; 12-06-14, 11:52 AM.
                      ... retired/

Comment

any updates?
                        ... retired/

Comment

any updates?
                          Sorry I didn't get time last night because I finished work later than expected but I will this afternoon. Will remove the dizzy and take a photo. Thanks a lot for your help

Comment

ok mate, it is just a very strange (not normal) sound, so just trying to help...
                            ... retired/

Comment

ok mate, it is just a very strange (not normal) sound, so just trying to help...
                              just an update, so I had to stay back at work late again tonight, but I got my mate to tow my car to my mechanic as I really don't have time to do this myself. I will post an update as soon as I find out whats wrong, hopefully early next week. I'll write a more detailed updated when this is all fixed to help others that have a similar problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X