VIN/Chassis/Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VIN/Chassis/Engine

At what times are the VIN number checked against engine/rego ?

-Cops check the VIN during a defect inspection: I don't think they bother ?
    -RWC test: I don't think they bother either ?
    -Buying/Selling of vehicle: They will do it here, but if the vehicle doesn't swap hands this can be avoided ?

So are there any other times that a VIN could be checked ? If not, there is a pretty low chance of it being checked ?

So if someone imported a offroad/non regoed vehicle, let's use FD2R in this example, and bought a FD2 locally, did a engine swap/register engine of the K20 to the Aus FD2/Rego then swap it back off the books, chuck the rego plates onto the JDM chassis, so we end up with engine registered to the rego. Chuck the Aus FD2 shell to the basement or middle of the desert and just drive the Type R and only have third party insurance ?

Since the VIN is barely checked, one can get away with it ? Or maybe swap the VIN plates on the cars so a quick glance by inspector they probably can't tell it's been tampered with ?

Yes technically its illegal but so is exhaust over 90db (most exhausts), car height below 100mm, carbon bits sticking out..etc.

So to sum up this stupid idea..when is the VIN of a car checked properly against the engine&rego of a car, assuming it doesn't get sold ?

Oh and I'm just asking so I am more aware when I inspect future cars..

Its abit difficult for any member on this forum to comment on this. Unless one of us can speak on behalf of police officers and RWC workers and their procedures in inspecting vehicles, then we are really all making assumptions.

Reading your post, I don't believe that your intent of asking these questions is to inspect future cars. If it is, you should be asking for a proof of registration which clearly lists the registered VIN number with the motor. If there is doubt, there is always the option to get the vehicle inspected by a registered mechanic. Keep in mind, your insurance would most defintely be voided. If there is discrepency between your vin and engine and no documented paper to validate its safe for road use.

Comment

I'd say it would most def be inspected when the car is blue slipped
      02 Indy Yellow s2000::::::04 Arctic Blue Pearl DC5R::::::05 White B2600::::::10 Ibis White Q5

Comment

I do roadworthy checks.
        The engine and VIN NUMBERS ARE ALWAYS checked..
        sigpic MRDC5S

Comment

I see..thanks

Comment

Originally posted by ZIPPIE Type-S View Post
            I do roadworthy checks.
            The engine and VIN NUMBERS ARE ALWAYS checked..
            But would you know its a bogus number or do you actually insert it into database to match it up with the engine/rego ?

Comment

dont you need proof of sale for the engine and previous owner registration?
              AUTO | Ktuned @ 115.2 kw atw | ITR Cams-TB-I/M | XForce 4-2-1 | Toda Catback | Mugen Intake | Whiteline | Buddyclub N+ | Buddyclub SF3

Comment

For your example I would just swap all parts that you want over to the adm body shell and have it engineered to that body shell. Keeps insurance legit and rwc all good. If the chassis required stiffening it could be done when striped down.

Not a type r but none of the problems! Just my thoughts.

Comment

Working...
                X