Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Integra DC5 Type S Coilover Troubles

Hi all,

I installed my coilovers about a month ago. BuddyClub N+ coilovers. and recently start to do clunking noises, more in reverse while turning and also rare occasions of clunks going forward also turning.

I went to a suspension shop, where they told me springs are binding and having pressure and releases a pop or clunk sound. the mechanc Checked all bolts and nuts they are all on tight. Bushings are all good and steering column is on tight.

I also raised the preload up by 3-4mm and still no good.

I would like to know if anyone has had this problem before? or anyone that knows information on it and how to stop it.

Thankyou!

Originally posted by jppisbest View Post
    Hi all,

I installed my coilovers about a month ago. BuddyClub N+ coilovers. and recently start to do clunking noises, more in reverse while turning and also rare occasions of clunks going forward also turning.

I went to a suspension shop, where they told me springs are binding and having pressure and releases a pop or clunk sound. the mechanc Checked all bolts and nuts they are all on tight. Bushings are all good and steering column is on tight.

I also raised the preload up by 3-4mm and still no good.

I would like to know if anyone has had this problem before? or anyone that knows information on it and how to stop it.

Thankyou!
    Thank god someone has the same issue, it's really bad when you do curb side parking Aswell, I get clunk sounds when I roll in a flat carpark Aswell.

But I also had this sound when I was on my stock suspensions..

Mines sort of serious, always on passenger side and occasionally on driver side.

I also have the same suspension, my friend uses teins and have this same issue Aswell.

I would love whoever knows why=)
    Last edited by JupiteR; 16-04-14, 11:36 PM.
    AUTO | Ktuned @ 115.2 kw atw | ITR Cams-TB-I/M | XForce 4-2-1 | Toda Catback | Mugen Intake | Whiteline | Buddyclub N+ | Buddyclub SF3

Comment

i went to wakefield with that knocking sound...im still alive =)

more recent, i usually only get the sound when im going slow under 30km/h and when im parking but im starting to get it when i drive over 100km/h
      AUTO | Ktuned @ 115.2 kw atw | ITR Cams-TB-I/M | XForce 4-2-1 | Toda Catback | Mugen Intake | Whiteline | Buddyclub N+ | Buddyclub SF3

Comment

Originally posted by JupiteR View Post
        i went to wakefield with that knocking sound...im still alive =)

more recent, i usually only get the sound when im going slow under 30km/h and when im parking but im starting to get it when i drive over 100km/h
        i just left my car spot, on a flat level road, clunk clunk lolllll wdf, yea happens only under 20 km/h for me. springs are binding but from what is what i wanna know..

it happens more often going forward aswell (taking off whilst turning) eg. leaving a car park spot.

Comment

one mechanic says its the pillow ball on the coils
          but i cant be bothered to take it all apart unless im certain.

Comment

Integra DC5 Type S Coilover Troubles

This has been covered many times before, so quickly,I'd try jacking the car up, backing off the locking rings quite a ways, spray the area where the spring contacts the top hat thingy,the top of the spring, the bottom of the spring, and both sides of the washer between the spring and the locking rings with white lithium grease,
            Pretty much spray that shit on anything that moves, then tighten the locking rings again, but don't over tighten,
            Good luck, I need a beer
            02 Indy Yellow s2000::::::04 Arctic Blue Pearl DC5R::::::05 White B2600::::::10 Ibis White Q5

Comment

Originally posted by gunpoons View Post
              This has been covered many times before, so quickly,I'd try jacking the car up, backing off the locking rings quite a ways, spray the area where the spring contacts the top hat thingy,the top of the spring, the bottom of the spring, and both sides of the washer between the spring and the locking rings with white lithium grease,
              Pretty much spray that shit on anything that moves, then tighten the locking rings again, but don't over tighten,
              Good luck, I need a beer
              Our prayers have been answered. I will try this. I'll update soon.

Comment

btw thanks gunspoons!

Comment

Originally posted by jppisbest View Post
                  btw thanks gunspoons!
                  No worries, no promises either though,
                  I had the same problem on and off for years, it's really a matter of getting the locking collars to lock tight and not move, and having just the right amount of preload on the spring, to tight and they'll bind, to loose and they'll rattle,
                  best you get the car on the stands and learn how to mess with them yourself, it can be a real pain in the arse but figuring out how to fix problems that arise from mods is all part of the fun, and will help give you a better understanding of how things work on your car
                  02 Indy Yellow s2000::::::04 Arctic Blue Pearl DC5R::::::05 White B2600::::::10 Ibis White Q5

Comment

I will put in my input with my experience with Buddyclub N+ and their problems I encountered. Not saying that this is the problem but pays to check it to make sure!

Over a period of time I've had issues with it constantly knocking from one issue to another, firstly it was loose locking collars and too much preload on the springs. I then corrected that all and then over a track day, it started to knock again ... checked the collars and preloads again and were all good.

I couldn't source what the noise from until my rear shock really gave in, what has happened is that the top hat section of the rear coil gave in due to the thread just being totally stripped. Aluminum vs Steel, it states the obvious.

Here it is, the red hat that bolts to the chassis, the thread on that stripped right off and you can kinda see how it goes ... the shock went straight through. Luckily it didn't do any major damage at the time. The front and started to do the same (was the rubber bushing on the hat), fixed it all up by drilling through the hat and putting grub screws to hold it in place with some weldbond to keep it all together. After that, I sold the car ...

Take that into consideration

Comment

Check your swaybar endlinks, could either be loose bolt or bushing stuffed all together. I changed mine and havent had a sound since.. n mine was bad.

Comment

Working...
                      X