Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DC5R hesitant on VTEC

Hey guys,

thought I would run something by you all and try get some ideas before it goes to the mechanic.

just over the past week i've noticed when driving hard that the car seems to be hesitating on vtec.

what i mean by this is where it would usually crossover (5800) it either seems to engage a little bit, then engage properly right at the top of the rev range, or not engage at all.

the vtec system of the car is about the only thing on the car i know very little about, so any help would be appeciated. I haven't ruled out things like bad batch of fuel...

Intake leaks can be possible. Any funny noises?
    Lisa is a nut. She has a rubber butt. Everytime she turns around it goes putt putt.

CW DC5R Build

Comment

How's your oil level?

Comment

check 2 most common things first Oil level and any air or vacuum leaks.

If not could be vtec solenoid or possibly oil pressure switch?
        All else fails mechanic or tuner would be best bet.

Inb4checkfluxcapacitor.
        S2000
        WSID : TBA
        Wakefield : 1:10.1

Flippit Photography
        Smooth As Detailing
        Incar Racing

Comment

Why would an air or vacuum leak cause his vtec to have cross over problems? I'm assuming for him to engage vtec he would more or less have his throttle plate wide open. I doubt an intake leak would be the cause. Check the usual suspects as the previous posts have suggested and also check the integrity of all your sensors including your knock sensor. May I ask as well whether you have an aftermarket ECU? You could possibly datalog the scenario.

Comment

Thanks for all of the answers guys.

ECU is stock, so no datalogging available. Car felt a little better driving today, so I'm hoping it was just a random event. Doing a service soon anyway for track day prep so I will make sure my oil is where it should be and might do spark plugs too.

Comment

Thanks guys you were right. Oil was rather low. I think because I was using 5W30 it may have been using a bit more than i anticipated.
              Changed oil and filter and filled up with Royal Purple full synthetic 10w40. Car feels excellent

Comment

Working...
              X