Clutch for supercharged FN2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch for supercharged FN2

Not far off bolting on a supercharger to my fn2 and I'm gunna fit a LSD at the same time - my question is would u recommend installing an upgraded clutch at the same time and if yes which one? Was thinking of a stage 2 organic.

What sort of power are you looking to make?
    I would change the clutch (guessing its still oem?). While the gear box is out you might as well do it.
    In regards to what clutch, maybe somthing heavier and with some bite. Sports organic may be a little to close to oem to handle the power output.
    Im running Exedy 3 puck racing ceramic clutch with JDM flywheel. Although It's only K24 and not supercharged, its a good clutch.
    Might be a pain to get use to from OEM, its got some bite but isn't stupid heavy.

Comment

I would recommend a Competition Clutch stage 2 for lower hp application (up to 300hp) otherwise I would recommend a stage 4 6 puk.

Matched to a lightweight flywheel would be good to help the engine rev faster
      Sleeping Performance & Mechanical Repairs: Balance, Feedback, Response

Ph: +61397947767
      Address: 6/253 Princes Hwy, Dandenong VIC 3175
      Email: josh@sleepingperformancemr.com.au
      Facebook: www.facebook.com/sleepingperformancemr

Comment

Originally posted by Timmy_B View Post
        What sort of power are you looking to make?
        I would change the clutch (guessing its still oem?). While the gear box is out you might as well do it.
        In regards to what clutch, maybe somthing heavier and with some bite. Sports organic may be a little to close to oem to handle the power output.
        Im running Exedy 3 puck racing
        Thanks Timmy
        Expecting around 300hp at the wheels
        Already running gruppem ram air, toda headers, martellius exhaust which is pushing close to 150kw at the wheels.
        So u reckon 3 puck and lightweight flywheel while I'm at it
        Last edited by felixR; 14-02-14, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rkcrusha View Post

Thanks Timmy
          Expecting around 300hp at the wheels
          Already running gruppem ram air, toda headers, martellius exhaust which is pushing close to 150kw at the wheels.
          So u reckon 3 puck and lightweight flywheel while I'm at it
          I don't think the OEM one would too well under that sort of strain. may as well do it while youre there

Comment

Be weary of the light weight flywheel, rkcrusha. That is one of those mods that makes anything but wide open throttle tough to drive. I have to heavily feather the pedal with my 8 pound flywheel in my dc5. It just makes daily driving a pain, especially in traffic. Its a good mod for acceleration, but I just wanted you to know the downside. Good luck with your shopping!
            Last edited by ahofnar; 14-02-14, 11:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ahofnar View Post
              Be weary of the light weight flywheel, rkcrusha. That is one of those mods that makes anything but wide open throttle tough to drive. I have to heavily feather the pedal with my 8 pound flywheel in my dc5. It just makes daily driving a pain, especially in traffic. Its a good mod for acceleration, but I just wanted you to know the downside. Good luck with your shopping!
              Thanks ahofnar, that's a good thing to know as I still drive to work and back every day (luckily not in traffic) my car is already a bit jerky in 1st with the current tune so the lightweight flywheel could make that even worse.

Comment

A friend at work who has a high spec ae86 reckons the 3 puck clutch is a real pain in the %#£€ especially if you're trying to reverse ad suggested 6 puck would be better. Is this true?

Comment

No worries. I'm not too sure about your clutch question, as I use an organic Competition clutch. Its about four years old now and it handles my ~264 nm(195 lb/ft) of torque without a single slip. I'm confident my stage 2 could handle a bit more power. Honestly, I never saw much need for the stage 3 clutch but in the end its all about what you want. The tires are my limiting factor at the moment. BF Goodrich sport comps just don't cut it.

Edit: I used a lb/ft to Nm conversion website. Please let me know if the number is wrong. Also realised that I installed the ACT on my wifes car . I put the competition 1.5 on my dc5...
                  Last edited by ahofnar; 16-02-14, 07:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sleepingperformance View Post
                    I would recommend a Competition Clutch stage 2 for lower hp application (up to 300hp) otherwise I would recommend a stage 4 6 puk.

Matched to a lightweight flywheel would be good to help the engine rev faster
                    Would a Kevlar plate clutch from clutch masters that handles 70% over stock be a better option than a six puck - ie will it still have plenty of bite aswell as daily driveability?

Comment

Working...
                    X