Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DC5S knocking noise when turning right!

Hey guys,

Okay you might have to bare with me cause im pretty noob at explaining and still learning quite a lot about the technicality side of car modding etc.

I have currently set up the car with a set of buddyclub N+ coilovers brand new just installed last thursday and a set of 18" ce28n. The coilovers were brand new from the box and purchased from jdmyard.

Anyway the story is i currently have a small knocking noise when i am turning right which is sometimes subtle and sometimes quite loud. I've had the car turned on in idle and got my mate to turn the wheel and i had a good feel of the tie rod ends. They are making a knocking vibration when the wheel is being turned. From what i can see it doesn't look like its hitting the coilover or the guards. I'm trying to figure out what the knocking is and i'm going to take the car in to have the coilover removed to have a look and see if it's the actual coilover bushings that are damaged somehow?

The suspension was fine and no knocking noises were occuring when i brought the car in to my wheel shop with my stock rims on and lowered already on the coil overs. This issue only occured after my new rims and tyres were placed onto the car and we modified the tie rod ends.

Any input would be great!!

Cheers guys
    WTB : [DC5] TODA HEADERS, WHITELINE FRONT SWAY BAR, BUDDYCLUB COILOVERS N+

PM ME!

Running lowered suspension will make that noise. My understanding is that Your tie rods are too long and the ends are popping out and then back in as you're turning. Solution is to run modified tie rods.
    Lisa is a nut. She has a rubber butt. Everytime she turns around it goes putt putt.

CW DC5R Build

Comment

Originally posted by maintain View Post

I have currently set up the car with a set of buddyclub N+ coilovers brand new just installed last thursday and a set of 18" ce28n. The coilovers were brand new from the box and purchased from jdmyard.

Anyway the story is i currently have a small knocking noise when i am turning right which is sometimes subtle and sometimes quite loud. I've had the car turned on in idle and got my mate to turn the wheel and i had a good feel of the tie rod ends. They are making a knocking vibration when the wheel is being turned. From what i can see it doesn't look like its hitting the coilover or the guards. I'm trying to figure out what the knocking is and i'm going to take the car in to have the coilover removed to have a look and see if it's the actual coilover bushings that are damaged somehow?

The suspension was fine and no knocking noises were occuring when i brought the car in to my wheel shop with my stock rims on and lowered already on the coil overs. This issue only occured after my new rims and tyres were placed onto the car and we modified the tie rod ends.
      What did you do to the tie rod ends?

Comment

I used to have a knocking sound when i used to turn my car very very slowly.. Like a clunk clunk clunk sound
        Changed my Ohlins Coilovers to my new H Drive and that solved my problem.
        Have you checked the bolt on the top of your new coilovers the one in the centre and made sure that's tight? < This solved one of my problems awhile back..

Comment

Ill check the bolts again but ive.made sure everything is super tight and not moving. I wouldnt wanna change coilovers theyre brand new so should be something else.

With the tie rods ends they have been replaced because the standard tie rod ends cause too much toe in. I got shorter tie rod ends to reduce the toe in.

PM ME!

Comment

cv joint problem maybe? that can cause a knocking sound when turning sometimes

Comment

Checked cv joints all fine. As stated I can feel the tie rod ends making the shudder as well when thr wheel is being turned

PM ME!

Comment

anybody else able to help ?

PM ME!

Comment

Originally posted by maintain View Post
                  With the tie rods ends they have been replaced because the standard tie rod ends cause too much toe in. I got shorter tie rod ends to reduce the toe in.
                  What tie rod ends did you fit? Are you certain the noise only occured after the fitment of the wheels and the tie rod ends?

At what speed is the noise occuring?

Comment

Originally posted by ChargeR View Post
                    What tie rod ends did you fit?
                    not too sure i'll check when i get home!
                    Are you certain the noise only occured after the fitment of the wheels and the tie rod ends?
                    Yep almost 90% i did not notice anything at all driving home (lynbrook) than all the way to clayton south to have them fitted.
                    At what speed is the noise occuring?
                    Its occuring at any given speed. Even when car is on idle and im turning my wheel i can feel the tie rods (only on the front passenger side of vehichle) making the knocking noise.

Hmm its really odd. I'm also taking it in to the shop to have the coilover pulled out and investigated!

PM ME!

Comment

Tom,

I think his Coils are doing what my Ohlins did, they would have movement and spring back asif the spring was releasing load if that makes sense.... This would occur to me generally under very low speed and sometimes higher speeds..
                      Are you sure that you've check the top nuts on the middle of the coilover in the engine bay area where your the top of your coils comes through the chassis?

Comment

Yeah I use to get the same thing occurring with my N+, I think it is the spring binding on the bottom locking collar, and then releasing with a pop,
                        Try backing the locking collars of that hold the spring in place, spray the area where they contact the spring with some white lithium grease, even spray some up the top of the spring where it contacts the top plate, tighten them back up and see if problem still there
                        02 Indy Yellow s2000::::::04 Arctic Blue Pearl DC5R::::::05 White B2600::::::10 Ibis White Q5

Comment

okay cheers guys! i'll check through all bolts again and get them tightened if need be. I'll keep you updated how it goes!

PM ME!

Comment

Issues fixed guys!! euuuughhhh 4 bolts weren't tightened. Rattle gun tightened them and they're all fine !!! Cheers for the help guys

PM ME!

Comment

Which bolts were they?

Comment

Working...
                              X