Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fumoto valve sump plugs - makes changing oil a breeze!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fumoto valve sump plugs - makes changing oil a breeze!

http://fumoto.com.au/index.htm

Anyone used these before?

Thinking bout getting these primarily to avoid stripping of the sump plug. Cars are going to be a keeper and i see this part as more of a preventative if i ever run into a stripped sump plug. Looking at my father jn laws accord. That plug is really worn thanks to mechanics from cabra...

Anyone ever used this?
    Integra Type R
    Integra Type S
    S2000

Been using one on my car every since I bought it

Comment

Nice.. did you require the adaptor at all?
      Integra Type R
      Integra Type S
      S2000

Comment

Spend the money on a torque wrench and a pocket full of aluminium crush washers and then never have to worry about stripping the thread in your sump? These things always worry me, I always go out of my way to reduce complexity and the potential for catastrophic engine failure. These things increase both.

Comment

I've seen one fail before and actually poured oil all over the track slowly, I wouldn't use them on my car.
          1999 Formula Red S2000 Blog

Comment

Well speaking on behalf of my friends experience, him and alot of his track friends (mainly evo's) all use this and they have yet to experience any failures. These guys attend alot of track days and alot of competition events such as McRae Sprints, Hill Climbs and door to door time attacks. However like anything involved with track, there is always an element of risk. As Tom said, why not invest in a torque wrench and just washers? I personally wouldn't want to be removing hot oil anyway. Taking oil samples is just on a whole new level of racing.

Comment

For me. I change the oil myself inbetween 10k visits to.top one. I conpletely trust top one's capabolity withcmy car but see this as more of a prevantive measure in terms of wear and tare of the sump plug itself. Myself i always use a new oem crush washer and torque wrench when tightening.. if i did all the servicing i wouldnt have to invest in this product. The only thing that kinda worries me is the valve itself sticks out so less clearance between the fumoto plug and the road surface.
              Integra Type R
              Integra Type S
              S2000

Comment

I totally agree with Tom, new washers and a torque wrench.
                sigpic MRDC5S

Comment

Originally posted by plAythiNG View Post
                  For me. I change the oil myself inbetween 10k visits to.top one. I conpletely trust top one's capabolity withcmy car but see this as more of a prevantive measure in terms of wear and tare of the sump plug itself. Myself i always use a new oem crush washer and torque wrench when tightening.. if i did all the servicing i wouldnt have to invest in this product. The only thing that kinda worries me is the valve itself sticks out so less clearance between the fumoto plug and the road surface.
                  I understand your concerns for preventative measures. I change my oil after every 3 track days (Less than 300km in total), and before that every 5000 km's. I was never worried about the wear and tear of the sump plug hole as I believe correct torque settings and the replacement of the aluminium washer is more than suitable. I don't think you should worry yourself with the wear and tear if you follow the correct methods for changing your oil. The torque settings are there for a reason. The torque settings are designed to account for expansion and contraction of the sump bolt. To me, adding this is just another introduction of a potential risk failure. Which if failed, could potentially cause fatal consequences. Why bother? Is your car leaking from a stripped sump bolt?

Comment

Torque + crush washers are the way to go. The only thing I did with my oem plug, was replace it with a magnetic drain plug. That's some peace of mind.

Comment

But norm im not going to be the only person down there wrenching away at the sump plug... like i posted if it was solely me that would be fine..
                      Integra Type R
                      Integra Type S
                      S2000

Comment

Originally posted by plAythiNG View Post
                        But norm im not going to be the only person down there wrenching away at the sump plug... like i posted if it was solely me that would be fine..
                        But Alex, you can't put a blanket of protection on everything. That sump is probably the least of your worries if someone works on your car. There has to be a degree of trust that you place on a mechanic. Thats the same with every trade. If I was to apply preventative measures to everything I might as well do it myself. But having said that, what i'm saying is of my own opinion. It may not align with your views. But keep in mind, if you decide to get your transmission done with your FD and gears all changed. I'd be more concerned over whether things are put back properly and torqued down correctly than a stripped bolt which anyhow takes time to happen (Has to force it numerous of times beyond its capacity). Get what I mean though?

Comment

Yep see your point that my trust in m.mechanic for a gearbox rebuild is alot more severe than a regular old sump bolt
                          Integra Type R
                          Integra Type S
                          S2000

Comment

Working...
                          X