Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ideas for the build! DC5R

Hey again guys,
    I need some creative ideas thrown at me.
    Ive been tossing up between a k24 bottom end or a supercharge. Im swaying more towards the supercharge.
    Lay it on the table guys, the good and the ugly.
    I hear many problems arise from a k24 bottom when you put the k20 head on it.
    I definitely had in mind the basics such as headers, cams, intake manifold, computer and a tune.

Thoughts on it?

whats the issues with k24? would like to know aswell

Comment

From my personal experience, given I was in your position, I would leave it with a stock engine.

The good: Less headaches, no time off the road, save yourself at least $10K and it will be the most reliable engine out of a K24 or supercharged K20.
      The ugly: K20/K24 frank is expensive. More expensive than just a K24. There's a list of smaller things to consider with a K20/K24 but I won't open the can of worms yet.
      I can't comment on the supercharger, however I believe you would also want to look at the condition of your existing health and condition of your K20 engine when you're changing to forced induction. If the engine requires a rebuild, you'll be also looking at net circa $10K+ and most likely will have to find a workshop to do it all for you.

Consider if you're able to have your car off the road for at least 6 months, be disciplined enough to stick to the original plan and not get carried away with modding everything else and accept the fact that you're investing $10K+ into your car which will not return you any gains and may adversely effect its re-sale value.

Then consider getting the modifications legalised with an engineers certificate. There are other forum members that can comment on the process of getting an engineers certificate, as I've yet to get my own.

Again, this is my personal opinion if I was to do it again. K20A2 has enough power for what I wanted and I wouldn't have built a K24 if my K20 didn't explode.

On the other hand, if I didn't care about the time off the road AND if I was rich, then 'creatively', I would turbocharge a K20/K24!
      Last edited by butter; 15-09-13, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Very detailed response butter!
        Jackson Supercharger kit seems the way to go if you really want.
        Can we ask what all the power is for? Ie. Drag racing, track etc
        K20 is enough power for me haha, not enough skills for more powaa
        Last edited by PG_DC5; 15-09-13, 02:52 PM.

"Because in a split second, it's gone" ~Ayrton Senna

Comment

Honestly butter, I couldnt have asked for a clearer response!
          Im leaning more towards the supercharge as Ive heard positive feedback about the linear source of power.
          With the modification being much less problematic, I think im going to supercharge it.
          I need more comments on what supercharge now and justify why you think thats the best one.

PG_DC5 I want to use this mainly streetwise. I want it to be unexpected - a sleeper. However, I want it to be compatible with the track too, perhaps for quarters or track days. I like versatility.
          I want it to be modest. Not obvious.

Comment

In the long run building the k24 bottom with k20 head could gain more power although if you want it as a every day driver and occasionally take it to a track like I plan to do with my car, I would suggest keeping the k20 and find decent extractors, you already have cold air so you could go for stage 2 cams not to aggressive and eventually e85 tune ? Idk I own a b-series so just a suggestion! Also if your taking it around Wakefield park or eastern creek maybe think about a new set of tyres or suspension. Just remember police can hassle you if they really want to so try avoid obvious mods...

Comment

My suggestion is if its street driven with occasional track days. Stay n/a. Because it's more reliable. Either keep the k20a2 and just put on decent headers exhaust and intake and go for a tune. If you a bit more power get a rbc or rrc with a new throttle body, cams and tune. Or k24 is also another option with bolt ons. Imo these two are probably the best two options to go for in terms of reliability. These are probably a slightly cheaper option than the other two you have suggested and the power gains are quite decent. Thats my opinion anyway.
              sigpic

Comment

I am currently in the norm of planning on my supercharging in the end of the year. I have had my car compression tested and is very high due to being a 36,000km car only. I have seen a std internal K20 get 150kw atw on 98ron (from a BYP tune) but with all supporting mods ... but the tune is iffy and not smooth. Mine currently makes 135kw atw with I/H/E/Tune, yet I can still get more with bigger throttle body/better headers and looking into 140kw from there. Also my neighbours DC5 makes 160kw atw with valvetrain and high cams done on a K20.

With the plans of my supercharge, I am looking at using a Rotrex Kit instead of a roots type Jackson Racing Charger. Capping at 10PSI max, I am estimating power around 240-250kw atw with all good flowing intake and exhaust (xcessive manifold & asp header). I think anything more than 10PSI becomes quite risky blowing the motor due to a high comp on the K20.

Comment

Hau, I definitely will be doing all of the minor things such as ecu and tune as I already have headers and an exhaust.
                  Not really concerned about the price but I dont want to be spending over 5-6 k on mods. Dont see the point.
                  I think if I did a k24 bottom end ill be in for a lot more money than a supercharge kit.

Stephen, you have some really good points on supercharging it. Is there any particular reason you chose rotrex? And also, is it preferable to change internals such as cams to jap spec or is it barely necessary, could anyone just throw a supercharge kit on a standard engine. Do k20s have the capacity to handle it!?

Comment

K series motors are very responsive to boost. Even with the higher static compression, you can make good power from boost, due to the fact that the OEM camshafts run quite a lot of overlap and are able to bleed off excess cylinder pressure.

I personally am a massive fan of turbos. A good twin scroll turbo kit and Hondata boost by gear makes this the most "flexible" option available, as you can run varying levels of power (depending on boost level) and with the correct turbo sizing, you can see full boost on a K20 by 3000rpm and hold that all the way to the rev limiter.

Full Race turbo kits are between $5000 & $8000 (depending on how you option it) and this will have everything you need (manifold, turbo, cooler, charge piping, gates, BOV) to make it a bolt on affair. I would also recommend ID 1000cc injectors & a walbro fuel pump for power upto 300kw.

If you have anymore questions about turbocharging, feel free to drop me a PM to discuss further
                    Sleeping Performance & Mechanical Repairs: Balance, Feedback, Response

Ph: +61397947767
                    Address: 6/253 Princes Hwy, Dandenong VIC 3175
                    Email: josh@sleepingperformancemr.com.au
                    Facebook: www.facebook.com/sleepingperformancemr

Comment

What is everyones thoughts on hybrid racing products?

Comment

Originally posted by Tiana View Post
                        What is everyones thoughts on hybrid racing products?
                        Some are good some are rubbish
                        Street Circuit Lifestyle - Official distributor for PasswordJDM sales@streetcircuitlifestyle.com.au

teamGROUNDzero
                        http://www.teamgroundzero.org

Comment

Hau, I definitely will be doing all of the minor things such as ecu and tune as I already have headers and an exhaust.
                          Not really concerned about the price but I dont want to be spending over 5-6 k on mods. Dont see the point.
                          I think if I did a k24 bottom end ill be in for a lot more money than a supercharge kit.
                          I meant a straight k24. Why not check out clubrsx, they do crazy stuff over there in the states
                          sigpic

Comment

Not so keen on their cams and what not. K20s have better heads than k24s.
                            And also, k24s rev out at 7.5k where as k20s love the high revs

Comment

Not so keen on their cams and what not. K20s have better heads than k24s.
                              And also, k24s rev out at 7.5k where as k20s love the high revs
                              Have a read of this thread about k24 vs k20/k24 http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthre...&highlight=k24
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X