DC5R VTEC pull in crossover problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DC5R VTEC pull in crossover problem?

Hi guys, i just made this account in the hope of sharing my experience with other honda fans and learning from you guys and try to help others with the things i have personally experienced, i also have mad a thread in the introduction forum and asked the below question but got told to post it here so i hope someone could please guide me to the answer .

the thing that is scaring and bugging me about my car is that i relise that at 6000rpm the crossover is good you feel increased power etc , but when i stretch the gear , SOMETIMES just before the redline at about 7500-7700 rpm or so? i feel a crazy pull usually best in 3rd, sometimes second as well. the thing bothering me is that it doesnt always do that top end pull, it ONLY DOES IT SOMETIMES. the only thing i have is a short ram intake which i bought with it on the car already.

my mate has a type s with a short ram intake and when his car crosses over, there isnt a feel in increased power but at the top end you feel that extra pull that i get SOMETIMES in my dc5r but his one is consistent he also has a short ram on.

what could it be? i mean come on, it shouldnt be a 3-4 time thing out of 10 that it would pull top end, it should be consistent? what are your opinions on this guys ?

On my first service i had penrite 5w40 full synthetic put in with genuine filter, in about 900km ive had to top up about half a litre not sure if the oil i am using could be a factor to this?

if anyone could please provide some insight on this id greatly appreciate it, and nice to meet you all and be a apart of club itr.

thank you

It's quite difficult to determine the issue since your description is quite general. If you can, I'd suggest bringing your car down to a tuner and doing some power runs to see if your torque and power figures dip in certain areas. Something to note is, vtec won't activate unless the engine is running under the correct conditions (Oil pressure, temperature). So if your car isn't completely warmed up then you won't get your "pull"
    Lisa is a nut. She has a rubber butt. Everytime she turns around it goes putt putt.

CW DC5R Build

Comment

the car is warmed up, i asked my mechanic he said you may be using the wrong oil but i used 5w40 full synthetic. say im driving when its warmed up and it does it, the next time i go into gear and try it it wont happen then it may happen again.

Comment

Was the oil at the correct level when you noticed the issues?

Comment

well firstly i just noticed the issue because i have been driving it regularly, i noticed that it didnt pull at the end of the gear consistently and ASSUMED it should. oil was probs just under full. i drove my mates dc5r that he picked up today and it was the same as mine but i am still not satisfied, why would it only pull at the end of the gear SoMETIMES and not consistently

Comment

Are you saying that itll pull in say, 3rd gear, but not so much in 4th? Or constantly in the same gear?

Comment

Could definitely be an oil problem. If the car hasnt been warmed up, you will get no vtec whatsoever.
              Oil could be too thick also.
              As knobo said take it to get checked out.

Comment

At 6000rpm when ir crossover tou always feel a pull . But in say third gear toqards thw res line youll feel an even bigger increase in power. But the thing is that it doesnt always do it. Only SOMETIMES buy im assuming it should do it every time im in third and stretch it to redline

Comment

Originally posted by 93civicsi View Post
                  Could definitely be an oil problem. If the car hasnt been warmed up, you will get no vtec whatsoever.
                  Oil could be too thick also.
                  As knobo said take it to get checked out.
                  Im using 5w40 penrite full synthetic. In 900km i had to top up half a litre. If i was to go thinner im guessing itll burn more. Jdmyard recomended me to go motul 10w40 as its what they put in their car

Comment

Should be using a 10w 40 for DC5R's. They came from factory with that so I wouldn't go thinner. With your car burning all that oil it should be a clear indicator your oil is too thin.

Go to a workshop that has a dyno and get them to do a couple power runs and have a look at your power curve and torque curve.

You'll noticed when dyno'ing your 3rd run is always your most powerful run and your first 2 runs will be less power. This i assume is due to the motor 'loosening' up and the oil getting hotter thus thining out. So it could be the same for the street, you may give it a hit and it wont feel as good, then you'll give it another hit (by this time your in 3rd) and it goes that little bit better.

My car had a difference of about 7ish KW drop from Dyno run 1 compared to Dyno run 3.
                    S2000
                    WSID : TBA
                    Wakefield : 1:10.1

Flippit Photography
                    Smooth As Detailing
                    Incar Racing

Comment

Have you tried to reset you ECU?
                      Also whats the condition of your spark plugs, air filter and oil filter?
                      sigpic
                      128.8kw Atws @ 1065kg - 13.875 sec @ 100.26 mph http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthre...ion&highlight=

Comment

Originally posted by Flippit View Post
                        Should be using a 10w 40 for DC5R's. They came from factory with that so I wouldn't go thinner. With your car burning all that oil it should be a clear indicator your oil is too thin.

Go to a workshop that has a dyno and get them to do a couple power runs and have a look at your power curve and torque curve.

You'll noticed when dyno'ing your 3rd run is always your most powerful run and your first 2 runs will be less power. This i assume is due to the motor 'loosening' up and the oil getting hotter thus thining out. So it could be the same for the street, you may give it a hit and it wont feel as good, then you'll give it another hit (by this time your in 3rd) and it goes that little bit better.

My car had a difference of about 7ish KW drop from Dyno run 1 compared to Dyno run 3.
                        Oh ok ill use 10w40 next time.
                        See the thing is after giving it a hit and it pulls the best it does like you mentiones all the oil thinning out its good but what bothers me is 2 mina later ill trt again in third and it wont pull on top end then maybe next time it wont again then the time after it will.

I will consider the dyno depending how much the damage will be at the moment because i have to do other things to the car, do you have a rpugh idea how much itll cost ?
                        The big plan is kpro later on

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                          Have you tried to reset you ECU?
                          Also whats the condition of your spark plugs, air filter and oil filter?
                          No i havnt , do you think itll help ?

Oil filter changed 1000km ago fuel filter n spark plugs will be bought some time this week and air filter came on car already havnt really cleaned it or anything

Comment

disconnect the battery for a while
                            sigpic
                            128.8kw Atws @ 1065kg - 13.875 sec @ 100.26 mph http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthre...ion&highlight=

Comment

Originally posted by RA73DR View Post
                              Oh ok ill use 10w40 next time.
                              See the thing is after giving it a hit and it pulls the best it does like you mentiones all the oil thinning out its good but what bothers me is 2 mina later ill trt again in third and it wont pull on top end then maybe next time it wont again then the time after it will.

I will consider the dyno depending how much the damage will be at the moment because i have to do other things to the car, do you have a rpugh idea how much itll cost ?
                              The big plan is kpro later on
                              about $80-$110 man
                              S2000
                              WSID : TBA
                              Wakefield : 1:10.1

Flippit Photography
                              Smooth As Detailing
                              Incar Racing

Comment

Working...
                              X