Blinding HID headlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blinding HID headlights

This has been bothering me for a while now and I don't know if it's a normal problem. From the looks of it, my headlights were fitted with aftermarket bulbs by the original owner. Since I've got a reflective type of headlight instead of projector, I'm being told that I'm blinding people.

My question is, is there anything I can do about it? Police will notice it eventually and defect me. With the original dc5 bulbs, if I can find any, will they have the same effect? As you can see I don't know much about headlights but what I do know is, projectors have a better focused beam and if adjusted correctly will not attract much attention. Should I get projectors?

Any help appreciated guys.
    Lisa is a nut. She has a rubber butt. Everytime she turns around it goes putt putt.

CW DC5R Build

From what I know, reflectors were never meant to have HIDs, but normal bulbs are fine.
    However, if your reflector headlight has the bulb shroud which covers the bulb itself, then that would more appropriate for HID application.

I used to piss people off when I had HIDs on my fn2, and I didn't like that, so I went back to globes, but I switched to 80w bulbs instead, which are slightly brighter than normal yet doesn't splash like HIDs do.
    Project TOPLESS

Comment

Like most people who have HIDs in their reflector type headlights, just dip your beam more than normal
      Project TOPLESS

Comment

If you place the original DC5 bulbs back in they will be completely different because AUDM DC5s originally came with halogen bulbs.

Comment

Been discussed numerous times.. But basically:

1) AUDM DC5s are not meant to take HIDs. You will continue to blind people on the road. Even if you aim the beam down, you'll still spray the glare around and you're not making the most out of the HID bulbs.

2) Revert back to halogens but resort to more high-end halogen bulbs (Best two in market are Philips X-treme Vision and Osram Nightbreaker PLUS) http://www.powerbulbs.com/au/product...eadlight-bulbs

3) If you must get HIDs, do retrofit projectors or get JDM HID headlights

Comment

Originally posted by lolwtfhai View Post
            From what I know, reflectors were never meant to have HIDs, but normal bulbs are fine.
            However, if your reflector headlight has the bulb shroud which covers the bulb itself, then that would more appropriate for HID application.

I used to piss people off when I had HIDs on my fn2, and I didn't like that, so I went back to globes, but I switched to 80w bulbs instead, which are slightly brighter than normal yet doesn't splash like HIDs do.
            Inside my headlight assembly, I do have the shroud around the low beam bulb so it kinda bounces off that going back toward the rear of the assembly then reflecting off that. Still blinding.

Originally posted by Symphorced View Post
            If you place the original DC5 bulbs back in they will be completely different because AUDM DC5s originally came with halogen bulbs.
            Oh. Halogen globes. Gotcha. Fingers crossed the previous owner did only bulbs and never added ballasts.

Originally posted by ob3d View Post
            Been discussed numerous times.. But basically:

1) AUDM DC5s are not meant to take HIDs. You will continue to blind people on the road. Even if you aim the beam down, you'll still spray the glare around and you're not making the most out of the HID bulbs.

2) Revert back to halogens but resort to more high-end halogen bulbs (Best two in market are Philips X-treme Vision and Osram Nightbreaker PLUS) http://www.powerbulbs.com/au/product...eadlight-bulbs

3) If you must get HIDs, do retrofit projectors or get JDM HID headlights
            Thanks obed. I'll be sure to go for the halogens you've suggested. Fingers crossed that the previous owner hadn't gone to town with wiring like the interior.
            Lisa is a nut. She has a rubber butt. Everytime she turns around it goes putt putt.

CW DC5R Build

Comment

Update:

Just for clarification, I grabbed a photo of the current setup. Might not be clear though.

CW DC5R Build

Comment

Originally posted by knobosaurus View Post
                Update:

Just for clarification, I grabbed a photo of the current setup. Might not be clear though.

Do your head lights need a polish Knobo??
                What wattage are the HIDs??
                I had HIDs in my foglights and they were rubbish compared to the halogen globes i replaced them with......
                sigpic MRDC5S

Comment

Foggies with 35 watt HIDs..
                  fog lights 8.jpg

Foggies with 55 watt halogen globes..
                  halogen globes...jpg
                  sigpic MRDC5S

Comment

These bulbs were on the car when I purchased them. Unknown make, model or wattage. The previous owner was so dodgy so can't expect details. Just recently had a headlight resto kit used on it. Was just raining badly today so a bit dirty.

Don't even know if these are HIDs or halogen globes. :S So clueless.

CW DC5R Build

Comment

These bulbs were on the car when I purchased them. Unknown make, model or wattage. The previous owner was so dodgy so can't expect details. Just recently had a headlight resto kit used on it. Was just raining badly today so a bit dirty.

Don't even know if these are HIDs or halogen globes. :S So clueless.
                      Best way to find out is pull one out and have a look....
                      sigpic MRDC5S

Comment

Follow the end of the bulbs, the wires to be exact. If there's a ballast attached to them, then they must be HID.
                        Shak's S2000

Comment

Good idea Shak. I'll be sure to check them when I can. To follow these leads, will I have to remove the front bar?

CW DC5R Build

Comment

Good idea Shak. I'll be sure to check them when I can. To follow these leads, will I have to remove the front bar?
                            If the wiring ends up behind the bumper, then you will prob have HIDs, if the wiring enters the stock wiring loom they will be halogen..
                            sigpic MRDC5S

Comment

Thanks bud. Will pop le hood when there's more light.

CW DC5R Build

Comment

Working...
                              X