K20 Service Items

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

K20 Service Items

I saw this on OzHonda and i thought it is a good idea to share it. I have also copied Tim's (Symphorced) post over too. It may be good to share different opinions on different oils etc.

PS: i think other threads have already been started but i wanted to post a new one since my views on some oils has been changed. Feel free to change the template.

Tim's

Engine Oil: Redline 5w30 and Castrol Edge 5w30
    Comments: Both burn way too much and will not be using it again. Will be using Anglomoil Roadmaster 500 10w40 next.

Transmission Oil: Honda MTF

Spark Plugs: NGK ZFR6FIX-11

Air Filter: GruppeM

Diff Oil: Non existant.

Brake fluid: OEM Honda Dot4. Not bad but had a lot of brake fade when I took it to the track. Now using Motul RBF600 which I cannot fault. Will be trying ATE Super Blue next as it is cheaper than the Motul.

Mine:

Engine Oil: Mobil 1 5W30, Royal Purple 5W30, Pentrite Enviro 5W30, Castrol Edge 5W30, Penrite 10 Tenths Racing 5W30
    Comments: I will be sticking with 10 Tenths Racing since it is decent for its price and i dont track it everyday so it is suitable for daily driving. I didn't burn any oil while using multiple companies. My engine is fine with 5W30.
    Side note: If you're burning oil, go for a thicker grade like 5W40 or 10W40. Common issue with the EP3s

Oil Filter: Honda Hamp, Honda OEM and Ryco Z547
    Comments: Same shit different smell

Brake Fluid: Castrol Super Dot 4
    Comments: Works really well and did not boil after 3 years + 1 track day

Transmission Oil: Motul 75W90,Honda MTF and Castrol Syntrans 75W85
    Comments: Motul was rough on cold starts and it will be hard to get into second gear. Honda was fine but only lasted around 10,000 - 15,000kms before it starts to feel a bit crap. I am currently using Syntrans and it still feels fine after 10,000kms and a track day.

Spark Plugs: BKR7EIX-11

Air Filter: Honda OEM and K&N
    Comments: For the price i would pick K&N since it is re-useable.
    Instagram: @ictorv2 & @00zaku

I'm pretty sure the air filter on the Gruppe M intake systems are K&N filters. As you said they can be re-used with the K&N cleaning/re-oiling kit!
    Shak's S2000

Comment

Engine Oil: Penrite HPR5 5W40 / Penrite 10 Tenths Premium 0W50 / Penrite 10 Tenths Racing 10W40

Comments: HPR5 is what I recommend the the daily drive. For cars that get used on the track, I would go for either the 0W50 or 10W40. The Racing 10W40 is guaranteed not to sheer (meaning it will not loose it's viscosity and break down to a 10W30 or 5W30 like alot of other oils will do) and this is what I recommend to all my customers, but I tried the 0W50 in my race car and found that I only burnt off approx 250ml for a whole track day at Winton. I am going to give it another shot to see how it goes, but will most likely end up switching to the 10W40

Oil filter: Repco ROF51 / Ryco Z547 / K&N

Comments: Repco & Ryco great for everyday. K&N has a magnet and is good for hard street/track work

Transmission Oil: Penrite Trans Gear 75W80 / Penrite Pro Gear 75W85

Comments: The Trans Gear is the way to go if you car is purely used on street and the occasional track day. Replaces OEM MTF and exceeds OEM specs. Pro Gear is great for those guys who give there car alot more stick, but the first few minutes require a more gentle approach due to the slightly thicker viscosity. Both oils have been used on track by myself and customers and the Pro Gear is the pick of the two for track

Spark Plugs: NGK (can't remember exact part number but I have used a custom spec for my track car, otherwise just use OEM spec)

Air Filter: DR1FT

Brake fluid: Penrite Super DOT4 / Penrite Racing Brake Fluid

Comments: Again the Super DOT4 is used for daily drivers. With a dry boiling point of 275 degrees, I reckon this will keep up on the track, but may start to experience break down after a few extreme heat cycles. Used the Racing Brake Fluid with a dry boiling point of 315 degrees at Winton and it was as solid after a day as when I unloaded it from the trailer in the morning

Coolant: Penrite 4 year Green

Comments: Good stuff. Haven't had any issue's with it and will keep using it. Also alot cheaper than OEM from memory ($50ish for a 5L bottle of concentrate). I also prefer to change coolant every 4yrs/100,000km over the 200,000km/8yrs that Honda recommends as most people tend to forget and not change, leading to electrolysis
      Last edited by sleepingperformance; 15-07-13, 11:18 AM.
      Sleeping Performance & Mechanical Repairs: Balance, Feedback, Response

Ph: +61397947767
      Address: 6/253 Princes Hwy, Dandenong VIC 3175
      Email: josh@sleepingperformancemr.com.au
      Facebook: www.facebook.com/sleepingperformancemr

Comment

Working...
      X