basic suspension advice for 2005 type-s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

basic suspension advice for 2005 type-s

I want to do some basic suspension work on my Type-S after I buy it after my lease ends. I want to reduce body roll without making the car too stiff. It is 100% street use, no track. Will some decent springs + sway bars suffice...or do i need to get coilovers?

if you just want to reduce body roll, get a thicker rear sway, thats all you need. You can do it now if you are going to buy it. .even if its leased, you can still do it.

Comment

3 things that cause excess body roll
      1. excess weight
      2. sway bar and rubbers/bushes
      3. springs and or shocks

Comment

i have hks hipermax 2. they are very comfy for sydney roads in the middle setting.

slightly off topic but does anyone who has experience with these coilovers know how to adjust the dampers? im thinking of stiffening them up a bit more.

Comment

with my Tein SS i have it set to 8 turns anti-clockwise (softer) from the max stiff setting. (which is full turn clockwise)

at this setting it is still comfortable on most roads but on those slightly bumpy uneven roads, you can definately feel the bumps, but it's bareable.

I would suggest to the thread starter to get "street" type coilovers rather than getting springs and shock combo. I'm sure the spring+shocks are good, but coilovers are always easier to sell when and if you decide to sell it later on.

Comment

what happen if i ve done all the 3 things on the list but I still feel that "excess body roll"

Does alignment and suspension setup play part to eliminate excess body roll?

sorry 4 this off topic

Comment

Originally posted by 05dc5S View Post
              i have hks hipermax 2. they are very comfy for sydney roads in the middle setting.

slightly off topic but does anyone who has experience with these coilovers know how to adjust the dampers? im thinking of stiffening them up a bit more.
              you need to get them revalved or at least dyno'd to see if any of them are below par. if you can't be bothered to buy a 'stiffer' setup, then you can get it revalved accordingly.

another diy option is to drill through one side to release the oil and fill in a thicker oil (any type will do as long as it is thicker, hence stiffer). then you tap the hole with a oversized screw/nut. a few teams do this to great effect (and budget) and it works quite well.

edit: my mistake i read your post wrong so disregard

Originally posted by 3r1k
              what happen if i ve done all the 3 things on the list but I still feel that "excess body roll"

Does alignment and suspension setup play part to eliminate excess body roll?
              i'd get a 3rd party view (video/photos) to see if it is actually rolling 'excessively' and not you leaning over when you're turning due to inertia. as for the term excessive, I think it's a bit overplayed considering it's a street car. If you track your car regularly then that's different. I'd use a harness first and pump up tyres by at least 4-8psi and getting stiffer rated anti-roll bars and seeing what you can do to lower your CoG.

Suspension has an effect on body roll not the alignment part.
              Last edited by ImprovCTR; 22-01-07, 10:08 PM. Reason: response to 05dc5s

Comment

^ but they are adjustable... im just not sure how to access the knobs and whether to turn them clockwise or anticlockwise.. i've been told that the knobs are on the bottom of the dampers for the front and on top of the rear ones?

Comment

Originally posted by 05dc5S View Post
                  ^ but they are adjustable... im just not sure how to access the knobs and whether to turn them clockwise or anticlockwise.. i've been told that the knobs are on the bottom of the dampers for the front and on top of the rear ones?
                  thats correct... 30 or 32 damper setting from memory for hks hipermax 2.. clockwise for stiffer and anti clockwise for softer...
                  NBGP DC5R

Comment

hks hipermax II are 30 way adjustable. http://www.importscene.com.au/prod538.htm

they wont have a problem on the DC5S will they?

Comment

Originally posted by jonnieR View Post
                      thats correct... 30 or 32 damper setting from memory for hks hipermax 2.. clockwise for stiffer and anti clockwise for softer...
                      thanks dude. umm does anyone wanna help me adjust them? i'll buy them a drink or two lolz

^ they fit on my dc5s with no problems

Comment

Originally posted by T-BaGGeR View Post
                        if you just want to reduce body roll, get a thicker rear sway, thats all you need. You can do it now if you are going to buy it. .even if its leased, you can still do it.
                        what makes you think I can do this mod under my lease??

Comment

farkit, I'll take the risk. What brand of rear sway bar you guys recommend. Also, what size 22mm? fixed or adjustable? I'm in ACT where can I get it?

Comment

^i thought the stock rear sway was 22mm

Comment

stock rear sway bar is 22 mm , jdm dc5r sway bar is 24/25 mm

Comment

Working...
                              X