How often do you top up your oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How often do you top up your oil?

Hey guys just wondering (mainly to all the DC2R's out there) how often do you guys top up your oil?
    If so how much do you put each time (roughly).

Just topped up today after 2 weeks and it ran SOOOOOOOOOOooOOoOoOoooooo much smoother!

Thanks!

hmm like every 6 months lol

"Because in a split second, it's gone" ~Ayrton Senna

Comment

I probably wouldn't top up more than a couple of hundred ml's between oil changes (5000km) and that's with a few track days in between.

If your engine "feels smoother" you've probably got other issues.

Comment

Really i was told that you should top it up like once a month or so? Not a whole lot but a tiny bit? And it didnt run bad before ran fine but when i topped up the drive was nicer, dont know if it was the weather maybe it was but yeah.... :S

Gona have to speak to my mechanic clarify this ....

Comment

I don't top it up at all. Oil changes every 4 months or 3000kms - usually it's every 4 months. Still using 5-30 Royal Purple. On my last interstate run Syd-Melb it didn't need extra oil so I was happy about that.

On the other hand, low kms helps (didn't stop the clutch slave cylinder from blowing though ).
          1988 CRX
          1999 Integra Type R
          2020 Civic Type R

Comment

I'm not talking about a service, or oil changes. Topping up engine oil.. I was told by 2 people.

1. Who has owned a type R for 5 years and runs the best.

2. Mechanic who was worked on heaps of Type Rs.

I'm a lil confused because they both said every week to 2 weeks or even a month to top up a lil hit of engine oil, image of oil attached below. Just want to clarify because I'm getting confused now :$ sorry guys lol

ImageUploadedByMotorculture1370790630.535739.jpg

Comment

You top up as required. Check your oil level once a week and if it needs topping up do it, otherwise dont.

I personally run the car for approx 30sec first thing in the morning, let it sit for a minute or two then check the dipstick. This way you get oil back into the filter and once you turn it off, will give you a more accurate reading.

Also stick with HPR5, as it is great oil, but if you find that you are burning off a bit to much, or have over 200,000kms, give HPR10 a crack
              Sleeping Performance & Mechanical Repairs: Balance, Feedback, Response

Ph: +61397947767
              Address: 6/253 Princes Hwy, Dandenong VIC 3175
              Email: josh@sleepingperformancemr.com.au
              Facebook: www.facebook.com/sleepingperformancemr

Comment

Would you use HPR5 for a DC5R with 130,000KM ?

Comment

Originally posted by che View Post
                  I'm not talking about a service, or oil changes. Topping up engine oil.. I was told by 2 people...
                  I think that's the point. Check it once a fortnight, but don't top up unless necessary. For me it's not necessary to do it at all between oil changes. For you it might be more than that. It depends on a multitude of factors, there is no golden rule other than to check it and top as necessary. Assess the situation. How far below the dipstick is the oil? 2mm? Don't bother. Half way up the stick - top it a little and re-assess.

If you find it necessary then do a tiny bit at a time as overfilling is not good for the engine. What seems like a small amount may be more than you needed. Somewhere between the two dipstick marks is ideal, close to the upper marker is best. Clean the stick in between checks and be aware that if it's just had a change, the oil isn't as visible.

Other than that, ignore the "runs the best" owner and the "heaps of type Rs" mechanic. That sort of advice is what leads to people overfilling.
                  1988 CRX
                  1999 Integra Type R
                  2020 Civic Type R

Comment

Originally posted by teee94 View Post
                    Would you use HPR5 for a DC5R with 130,000KM ?
                    HPR5 or 10 Tenths Racing 10 (10W40) is what I would use in a DC5R, depending on if you track the car or not
                    Sleeping Performance & Mechanical Repairs: Balance, Feedback, Response

Ph: +61397947767
                    Address: 6/253 Princes Hwy, Dandenong VIC 3175
                    Email: josh@sleepingperformancemr.com.au
                    Facebook: www.facebook.com/sleepingperformancemr

Comment

Originally posted by Setanta View Post
                      I think that's the point. Check it once a fortnight, but don't top up unless necessary. For me it's not necessary to do it at all between oil changes. For you it might be more than that. It depends on a multitude of factors, there is no golden rule other than to check it and top as necessary. Assess the situation. How far below the dipstick is the oil? 2mm? Don't bother. Half way up the stick - top it a little and re-assess.

If you find it necessary then do a tiny bit at a time as overfilling is not good for the engine. What seems like a small amount may be more than you needed. Somewhere between the two dipstick marks is ideal, close to the upper marker is best. Clean the stick in between checks and be aware that if it's just had a change, the oil isn't as visible.

Other than that, ignore the "runs the best" owner and the "heaps of type Rs" mechanic. That sort of advice is what leads to people overfilling.

Ohh ok, thanks Setanta!! Yeah all i was doing was checking it and sometime is a lil low so i just add a tiny bit of engine oil. But i know not to overfill so i make sure its a small hit.
                      Thanks for the advice really appreciate it, saved me causing damage to my engine

Comment

Originally posted by sleepingperformance View Post
                        You top up as required. Check your oil level once a week and if it needs topping up do it, otherwise dont.

I personally run the car for approx 30sec first thing in the morning, let it sit for a minute or two then check the dipstick. This way you get oil back into the filter and once you turn it off, will give you a more accurate reading.

Also stick with HPR5, as it is great oil, but if you find that you are burning off a bit to much, or have over 200,000kms, give HPR10 a crack
                        I find that pointless. All you doing is raising the oil so less is in the pan. I do when ever as long as its been off for 10 mins or more.

Also i dont top up oil at all. Dont need to. But id keep the oil between 3/4 to full between the dots.
                        And a little top up wont really change the smoothness of the motor. Unless you topped it up 3L
                        sigpic
                        128.8kw Atws @ 1065kg - 13.875 sec @ 100.26 mph http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthre...ion&highlight=

Comment

Yeah, some cars, especially VTEC's seem to burn more then others. I buy a 5L royal purple 10w-40 and change it every 5000km, i only ever top a tiny bit during the 5000km interval not even because its absolutely necessary but just for peace of mind. Other type R owners are topping up a lot more and very often. Some burn oil, some don't or not as much..

Quote:
                          Originally Posted by justinfox
                          You can modify many crappy cars out there to be faster than a real Type-R but no matter how fast they are they still don't knock the Type-R off it's "pedestal" which it so deservedly sits on. :P

JHDM-B18C7 >>>>> Source Code: DC2R 00-0016 SOLD

Comment

Working...
                          X