Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts on Custom straight pipe exhaust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on Custom straight pipe exhaust?

So its time to get an exhaust on my Type S. I want something fairly loud with the best power gains. Im not a genius on exhausts so any input would help. At the moment just getting a cat back untill i get more Benjamin's for headers. I'm real keen on the varex muffler as a mate has one on his Subaru RX and sounds amazingly loud when you want it to be. Im thinking of going for a hi-flow cat, mandrel bent 2.5" straight pipe and the varex muffler. Obviously this is a custom job, wondering how good custom can be? If this is recomended for power? And if I really will notice differences between this or a brand name cat back. Ive been told headers is were you will get the majority of you power gains, and as for the cat back, getting it custom shouldnt be a bad thing. Headers in the future will be a brand name just to put it out there. Also does anyone know of any really good exhaust places in melbourne? preferably western suburbs.

Just for clarification, straight through exhausts won't meet emissions standards period. Best to just save up for the exhaust you want rather than incrementing and losing more money which could go to other mods.

In regards to the varex, I believe that's also a track only exhaust and would be defectable for the most part. If you're still keen on one it'll be a universal muffler which wilk require custom welding to install onto a dc5 afaik.
    Lisa is a nut. She has a rubber butt. Everytime she turns around it goes putt putt.

CW DC5R Build

Comment

If you don't care about emissions etc and care purely for loud tone from an exhaust, a straight pipe connecting to muffler will provide this. In terms of power gains, youd need a complete system with a tune to see beneficial results. Most aftermarket exhaust wont meet EPA standards anyway-only a few may depending on the setup.

Custom jobs are good but it depends where its done and the person doing it. Mandrel bent pipe is a necessity if youre looking for performance gains so keep that in mind.

Comment

Im not really worried about emissions as long as there arent any fines to go along with it. How often is a cop going to ask to look under your car to see what piping you've got? As for the varex Im starting to hear they aren't legal, but ive never heard of anyone getting done for it?? Either way, Im going to want it somewhat loud, but not stupidly loud that i want to kill my eardrums...I do understand performance will be noticed after headers and tune are done, however I just would like to know If I will still get decent gains with a custom straight pipe exhaust over a brand name cat-back, once headers and tune are done.

Comment

Depends on the situation and the cop. Usually you have to face EPA rules. You may also want to consider other options other than varex, other brands such as Spoon which gives a nice loud sound. I have also heard varex being targeted by cops in Melbourne but cannot verify this officially ofc, just word of mouth. And with performance gains, if the pipe is made well and is mandrel bent, there should be no reason as to why there is no gains.

Comment

Varex users have be caught and fined before. Seen and heard it. Straight through systems which eliminate the cat will maximise your gains however can attract fines up to 10k. Pretty serious about EPA rules.
            Lisa is a nut. She has a rubber butt. Everytime she turns around it goes putt putt.

CW DC5R Build

Comment

A couple of things I believe we need to clarify first,

-Is the car going to remain road registered
              -Will you comply with emission standards
              -Is there a specific budget we need to adhere to

Comment

Originally posted by abez24 View Post
                however I just would like to know If I will still get decent gains with a custom straight pipe exhaust over a brand name cat-back, once headers and tune are done.
                is your car turbo charged?

then no.

and for not getting fined when you get pulled over? bwhahahaha!!! funny stuff!
                ... retired/

Comment

Have you looked into the skunk 2 megapower 70RR exhaust?
                  Have a read of my build thread

Comment

95% of modifications are non adr compliant full stop. We live in australia. The fact that you are discussing modiying of a street car already means your are prepared to break those rules.

But regarding the q at hand, pick one that has a balance of good tone an noise when you want it, yet quiet enough when u want to avoid attention. It may seem obvious because this is ony regarding a random pull over by a hwp because u attracted the poor coppers attention on his daily patrol rounds

Fact is if it comes to roadside defect/rbt station, your pretty fkd regardless what you get. Bet you can hope for is that ots a busy night and your particular car was not as red hot as the drift spec s14 with a FMIC and straight pupes that pulled in after you.

Sad but its the truth. You know how i avoid defects? I simply dont drive past 6pm in certain areas.

Comment

Straight through systems which eliminate the cat will maximise your gains however can attract fines up to 10k. Pretty serious about EPA rules.
                      Sorry I should clarify. The system Im thinking of incorperates a Hi-Flow Cat with the striaght pipe to the varex muffler, and as such should hopefully cohere with emissions standards. Im well aware of the massive EPA fine, i think its near 15k now. As for the varex, i wonder how theyre caught? Do cop's look under your car and look for branding of varex?

A couple of things I believe we need to clarify first,

-Is the car going to remain road registered
                      -Will you comply with emission standards
                      -Is there a specific budget we need to adhere to
                      The car will be road registered, I will have a cat so im guessing i will be complying with emissions standards, and I would like to stick to under 1k.

Have you looked into the skunk 2 megapower 70RR exhaust?
                      I haven't looked too much into this. Ive briefly looked into the Apexi Evo(because i found it cheap on ebay), the HKS Hi power because I quite like the sounds, and the amuse titan R1. The reason for me going to this custom system is because I would be able to control the sound whenever I deem necessary.

So the question I ask is, Will this system be as good as any of the brands ive just listed? What differences in power would I see if any?

Comment

I will have a cat so im guessing i will be complying with emissions standards,
                        no that just means you are complying with the requirement to have a cat fitted.

passing an emmission test is a separate requirement.
                        ... retired/

Comment

Oh I see
                          Fair enough.
                          Are there many exhausts that do past the emissions test? I havent heard of anyone having these issues only epa because of sound

Comment

Oh I see
                            Fair enough.
                            Are there many exhausts that do past the emissions test? I havent heard of anyone having these issues only epa because of sound
                            Mates been back and forth to the epa for 3 months now. Regos been suspended since 2 wks ago. Hes had the stock cat back put back on and still reading mid 90s db.

Comment

Cops can see the butterfly valve which controls the volume of the Varex exhaust. Pretty easy actually, just shine a light up the tail pipe.

If you're keen on an amuse titan, shak is selling one for under 1000. Check out his sale thread.

CW DC5R Build

Comment

Working...
                              X