DC5R Driver side drive shaft has some play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DC5R Driver side drive shaft has some play

So I'm having some issues with my driver drive shaft and was hopping I could get some light. My driver side drive shaft moves a fair bit. I can push and pull on it from underneath the car and it moves maybe 1-3mils and when I drive I get a knocking noise from the driver side so I believe the two are connected. I took the car for a test spin and it seems the knocking/tapping noise happens only when starting off to about 60kms an hour and if I go faster the sound is very minimal or goes away OR I just simply cant hear it any more since my exhaust is quite loud.

I'm assuming there should be no play at all with the drive shaft since I went on the passenger side and It wouldn't budge at all no matter how hard I pushed or pulled onto it but correct me if I am wrong.

Anyone have any experience in this and can shine some light??

Cheers,

Justin.
    Into Gundam and Anime?! Check out my business at www.facebook.com/officialgundamuniverse

www.gundamuniverse.com.au

DC5R Driver drive shaft has some play

Me as well + where can I buy drive shafts in Sydney. For dc5R

Comment

Mine has some play but no noise yet. Cv's prolly need doing soon

Comment

both my drive shafts moves 10mm when i push/pull in/out on it...

imagine if your drive shaft had no play and your wheel went over a bump?

does the hub where the driveshaft finishes go on a perfect arc? where r = d/s length?

damaged CV's are identifed by clicking noise when turning at full lock... can you confirm this noise?

or clarify in which direction (fore/aft or in/out or up/down) your shaft moves (you didn't say...)
        ... retired/

Comment

The direction is up/down.
          For example if I am lying down directly below the shaft i can push or pull it a few mils. I just want to confirm if this is normal as I can't seem to determine where this tapping/knocking noise is coming from other than this suspicious drive shaft. The lower speed I do, the more I can hear it, the higher speed the less I hear it.

I'll test if its the CV tomorrow morning.

**I'm not sure about this perfect arc thing though? Can you provide more information on this so I can check it out? Cheers tinker.
          Into Gundam and Anime?! Check out my business at www.facebook.com/officialgundamuniverse

Comment

perfect arc only applies to if the play is in/out, not up/down...

if you have in/out play - it is so the suspension can move up and down vertically and the diveshaft can be different lenghts...

as you say it is up/down that is much more concerning.

now - this is the hard bit - is the up down at the hub, only the shaft, or both the hubs and the shaft?

if it is just at the wheel side - you should check your really big hub nut is tight, and there is no red dust (might be your wheel bearing damaged)

but it does sound like something driveshaft related is on its way out and it needs to be reconditioned (a brand new shaft is abhorently expensive)

you can usually just take the old shaft in and buy a reconditioned one with new CV joints, but an old shaft and hubs...

btu beware of dogey backyard reconditioning places, as they reweld the hubs, then hand re-grind them, proper places have a machine to do it....
            ... retired/

Comment

btw - i got my last set of reco shafts from Sydney Drive Shaft in Hornsby - 9672 3352

I broke all the class records in the NSW Hillclimb Championship last year with these shafts, and hillclimbing is tough on the drivetrain!
              ... retired/

Comment

I had the exact same symptom you describe, vertical play in the inner CV of the driver's side shaft if you forced it from below. Pretty sure the rollers inside the CV are worn or something has broken, mine had seen 10 years of kerb jumping and general abuse though so I can't be too disappointed. I just swapped in a known good second hand pair (Thanks Napo) and will be getting my originals rebuilt as spares.

Comment

Mate i feel terrible. I had a complete set of driveshafts and stock brake bits here and there, that got taken up by the rubbish collection today!

If only i saw this one day earlier
                  eckoflyte

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
                    perfect arc only applies to if the play is in/out, not up/down...

if you have in/out play - it is so the suspension can move up and down vertically and the diveshaft can be different lenghts...

as you say it is up/down that is much more concerning.

now - this is the hard bit - is the up down at the hub, only the shaft, or both the hubs and the shaft?

if it is just at the wheel side - you should check your really big hub nut is tight, and there is no red dust (might be your wheel bearing damaged)

but it does sound like something driveshaft related is on its way out and it needs to be reconditioned (a brand new shaft is abhorently expensive)

you can usually just take the old shaft in and buy a reconditioned one with new CV joints, but an old shaft and hubs...

btu beware of dogey backyard reconditioning places, as they reweld the hubs, then hand re-grind them, proper places have a machine to do it....
                    It appears to be only the shaft, doesn't seem like the hub is moving at all. I just shake the shaft up and down from below. I have actaully just took it to be reconditioned as I thought that was the issue, but still no go. It still can be shaken up and down. Could be its definitely the hub? When I took it to the place they replaced the shaft with all new cv joints. So now im at a point of I have absolutely no fkn idea what to do...

Originally posted by ChargeR View Post
                    I had the exact same symptom you describe, vertical play in the inner CV of the driver's side shaft if you forced it from below. Pretty sure the rollers inside the CV are worn or something has broken, mine had seen 10 years of kerb jumping and general abuse though so I can't be too disappointed. I just swapped in a known good second hand pair (Thanks Napo) and will be getting my originals rebuilt as spares.
                    After the swap, did the vertical play disappear ??

Originally posted by andrew84tran View Post
                    Mate i feel terrible. I had a complete set of driveshafts and stock brake bits here and there, that got taken up by the rubbish collection today!

If only i saw this one day earlier
                    Hurts deep.

Comment

Working...
                    X