Running smaller spark plug gap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running smaller spark plug gap?

I've bought some new NGK spark plugs that are gapped at 1.1mm (OEM specification on the manual); but upon putting them in, I found that the previous owner put in HKS M40i spark plugs and from research they were gapped to 0.8mm; they also looked in good condition, no burn marks or anything, like they haven't been put in long ago.

Just wondering is there a difference or any advantage in using a smaller than OEM spark plug gap? Car is an EP3

Re: Running smaller spark plug gap?

I don't think it matters on NA cars as much as it does on FI cars... but I can't explain why well enough to warrant trying.

Comment

all i've read is that bigger gap will have more spark which can improve fuel efficiency but will put more strain on the ignition. But i've also heard smaller gap will give a faster spark which can be a benefit but increases the chance of misfiring. What the benefit is was never stated :|

I put the NGK ones in the car and i didn't really notice a difference between the HKS ones :S

Comment

You can always change the gap. its like a $2 tool from supercheap. Best go oem
        sigpic
        128.8kw Atws @ 1065kg - 13.875 sec @ 100.26 mph http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthre...ion&highlight=

Comment

But you can't for iridiums?

Comment

Originally posted by DaRKNT View Post
            But you can't for iridiums?

Who told u that? I cant see why not. I dropped one of mine on its head. Flatten them together. Took to secs to fix with the tab tool thing
            sigpic
            128.8kw Atws @ 1065kg - 13.875 sec @ 100.26 mph http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthre...ion&highlight=

Comment

Hmm... it was just from research online and the DC5 service manual.... according to those references, apparently the electrode can snap.

Comment

Working...
              X