Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EP3R and DC5R suspension interchangability

Hey guys,

Was looking at buying a Mugen set to give my DC5R a decent drop. Two blokes on here are selling used sets for EP3s and, after a bit of digging, couldn't find any definitive answers about whether or not it's direct bolt on.

Some places (k-series.com) said that the tie rod ends need to be changed. Some places say they're direct bolt on. I'd like to hear from everyone and see what's what.

I'm really out in the cold on this one. Resident experts please weigh in.
    Lisa is a nut. She has a rubber butt. Everytime she turns around it goes putt putt.

CW DC5R Build

For a ep3 owner, trying to fit a dc5 coilover is easy. We only need to get dc5 tie rod ends and shave a bit of the rear suspension to fit it in.
    Instagram: @ictorv2 & @00zaku

Comment

Re: EP3R and DC5R suspension interchangability

Knobby, to be honest, I'd probably just save up a while and get something fully adjustable - that way you can have the set up as you like.

Comment

I shaved the rear eyelets down from dc5 BC Brs and used dc5 tie rod ends. It was an easy install!
        1995 Honda Civic EG (K20)
        1998 Nissan 180SX Type X (SR20)
        2010 Volkswagen Golf GTI (Emission Monster)

RHCP
        F1 Nut

Comment

Re: EP3R and DC5R suspension interchangability

Originally posted by stienerv2 View Post
          For a ep3 owner, trying to fit a dc5 coilover is easy. We only need to get dc5 tie rod ends and shave a bit of the rear suspension to fit it in.
          Cheers. Were the tie rods for the Dc5 bigger than the ep3?

Originally posted by DaRKNT View Post
          Knobby, to be honest, I'd probably just save up a while and get something fully adjustable - that way you can have the set up as you like.
          I'd like to get something fully adjustable later down the track. Licensing restrictions are leaning me towards a temporary set up where I can have a lowered setup whilst also getting better ride handling

Originally posted by sleepingperformance
          If you are thinking about entry level coilovers, I can get you some H.Drive Racing starting at $1050
          That would be nice but it would have to wait probably another year.

Originally posted by dnapol View Post
          I shaved the rear eyelets down from dc5 BC Brs and used dc5 tie rod ends. It was an easy install!
          What are these eyelets you speak of? And same question, which tie rod ends are bigger?
          Lisa is a nut. She has a rubber butt. Everytime she turns around it goes putt putt.

CW DC5R Build

Comment

The eyelets are the lower mounting point for the rear coils. I believe dc5 had a larger seat into the coil arm for the tie rod to sit in. Must switch to dc5 rod ends!
            1995 Honda Civic EG (K20)
            1998 Nissan 180SX Type X (SR20)
            2010 Volkswagen Golf GTI (Emission Monster)

RHCP
            F1 Nut

Comment

Originally posted by dnapol View Post
              The eyelets are the lower mounting point for the rear coils. I believe dc5 had a larger seat into the coil arm for the tie rod to sit in. Must switch to dc5 rod ends!
              Wait, I'm running a DC5R with a desire to have a Mugen EP3 suspension. Hence, I already have DC5 tie rod ends? Since they're bigger, that means the mounts for the tie rods on the sussy have to be drilled out? Or am I misinterpreting.

Does that mean the eyelets for the EP3 sussy will be too thin? Requiring washers to seat properly?

CW DC5R Build

Comment

Originally posted by knobosaurus View Post
                Wait, I'm running a DC5R with a desire to have a Mugen EP3 suspension. Hence, I already have DC5 tie rod ends? Since they're bigger, that means the mounts for the tie rods on the sussy have to be drilled out? Or am I misinterpreting.

Does that mean the eyelets for the EP3 sussy will be too thin? Requiring washers to seat properly?
                You're close, the DC5R tie rod ends have too large a taper to fit in to the EP3 strut. So you could drill out the strut, but you have to get the taper in the hole correct, it isn't just a straight hole. So it is much easier to change to EP3 tie rod ends.

And yeah washers will be required at the rear.

Comment

Awesome. Thanks for the guidance Charge. Going to look for some EP3 tie rod ends. By any chance do you roughly know the amount required to fill the gap between EP3 and DC5R eyelets?

CW DC5R Build

Comment

Working...
                  X