Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem - Spring motion relative to spring seat under braking

Hi all,

Hoping CITR can help me out here with a weird problem I have with the DC5R with Mugen Showa Suspension (spring and seat design similar to OEM). There is a section of road very close to an intersection near my place and it has a bumpy approach as you are under brakes. Over this section of road, the driver side front suspension feels like it skips (as though the rebound stroke isn't keeping the corner on the ground).

It only occurs under brakes as you hit the bumps.

Initial check was to see if there was any loose connections. I noticed a swaybar endlink boot split, so I will be repacking/replacing the end link. To determine if end-links were the cause, I disconnected both end links and secured the swaybar so it would not contact with the lower arms.

Unfortunately, when braking over the same section of road, the noise still exists, but has changed it's behaviour. Just after hitting the bumps, the noise which transmits sounds very much like the spring is slipping somewhere on the absorber seat (very high pitch vibration like a spring being loaded and then slipping). What I don't understand is why the spring could be slipping as it really doesn't make sense.
    Wakefield: EG B18CR - R888 - 1.09.9
    Eastern Creek: DC5R - RE001/ER300 - 2.00.8
    Winton: DC5R - RE001 - 1.45.9

Could it be your ABS engaging that you're hearing? DC5R ABS is sensitive over bumps.
    Official ClubITR Sponsor: www.autosphere.com.au - For all your maintenance, oils and track needs.

Comment

Re: Problem - Spring motion relative to spring seat under braking

Unfortunately it doesn't have the same pulsing through the pedal that you get with abs.

It almost sounds as though for that moment in time where the damper is in rebound, the spring slips and free vibrates slightly, sending all the through the body.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
      Wakefield: EG B18CR - R888 - 1.09.9
      Eastern Creek: DC5R - RE001/ER300 - 2.00.8
      Winton: DC5R - RE001 - 1.45.9

Comment

Working...
      X