Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Project Mu TYpe NR brake pads & Endless Super 6 slot rotors - REVIEW for AUDMDC5R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project Mu TYpe NR brake pads & Endless Super 6 slot rotors - REVIEW for AUDMDC5R

ok heres goes.. my first attempt on a review.. please go easy on me..

Project Mu Type NR Brake Pads

Since I purchased my car I had to change my front brake pads to Bendix Ultimate. This was just a temporary OEM replacement which seemed fine for street. For 150 compared to 200-250 for OEM you can’t complain.

I did one or two max action (autokahana) events with my stock brake setup and it seemed good enough for someone of my driving skill at the time (yes.. its still sh*t). So I really couldn’t tell the diff if this was good or not.

6mths after changing to Bendix brake pads I went to a Honda Sports Car Club WA lunch. We went up into the hills and there was lots of gravel, dust and dirt on the road. Since that weekend, I got a lot of grinding and squeaking noise at the front brakes. I thought that after all these events of hard driving I must have gone through my front brake pads. So I ordered the Project Mu Type NR. I was going to go for B-Spec but there was not much price difference so I ended up going for the NR. These are rated from 0-650c.

After changing to the Type NR… wow.. there was a little bit more bite.. its not like how black_spirit would put it “bites as hard as an angry pit bull”.. probably as snappy as a jack russell who forgot her handbag. I was impressed and could really tell the difference when I went on my next autokahana event.

For the first few months there were lots a squeaking like a hardcore race car. I pulled into a busy airport and my car was squeaking like some sh*t bucket and every1 started staring at my car….a bit embarrassing. I’m now at 50% of these pads and all the squeaking has gone.

I found with the OEM rotors, when braking at high speed (130-200km) and for long duration I would hear loud grinding noise. A friend of mine advised me that this is the hard compound eating into the rotor.

After having these for about 8mths on my OEM rotors, they chewed the sh*t out of them. So I ended up having to order some rotors which will be discussed later.

Rating: 6 ½ out of 10
    Good money spent.

Endless Super 6 Slot Rotor

After waiting for a while for Centrax to get the order from Japan, I finally got to install these babies yesterday

My original OEM ones

I was deciding between

OEM – appx $250ea
    DBA 4000 series - $265ea (from memory)
    DBA 5000 series* - $465ea
    Endless Tri Slot**
    Endless Super 6 slot**
    Project Mu 2 piece rotor SCR Pro? - $1000 pair

*all are one piece except DBA 5000 series
    ** check with centrax autos for latest pricing as they have recently changed.

My Mechanic at the time (tony flood motorsport) suggested I don’t go for the two piece DBA 5000 as the aluminium hat rubs against the disc and makes a terrible noise. He suggested DBA 4000 if I was on a budget, but would prefer me to go for OEM then manually slot them himself. He advised that Honda make pretty good rotors from factory. From his experience, his customer’s that are on a budget tend to go with Endless VN brake pads and DBA rotors. He proceeded to advise that this is a very poor choice of combo as the pads are not made for these rotors and one outlasts the other very quickly. (I forgot which one he mentioned). But due to the price of endless rotors they always tend to go for DBA.

After a lot of emails going to different distributors, I went with Endless. The before/after sales service was excellent and they were always on the ball with answering my questions/emails. I wasn’t too keen with the Project Mu because there wasn’t much info on it plus I was not confident with the distributors support regarding the fitment on the AUDM DC5R.

So I ended up with the Endless Super 6 slot! I haven’t had the opportunity to try it on the track (due February 2nd 2007 – keep posted ). I have only tried emergency braking once to avoid getting caught by a red light camera. This time, there was no deep grinding noise from the brake pad eating into the rotor. All I heard was complaining from my girlfriend and seeing stuff flying from the backseat to the front of the car. I don’t know if this is a placebo effect, but I seem to have a little bit more brake response. This maybe due to the fact that I have more rotor and less travel for the caliper.

I’m about 50% through my Project Mu brake pads. I’m thinking of trying an endless compound next and see how that goes.

Will keep you guys updated when I take these babies onto the track!

Rating: 5 out of 10* pending testing on track
    Not very bang for buck for street use, but worth it if you have high performance brake pads and your car see’s the track.

Thanks to Steven from Centrax for the excellent service & support!! tony from tony flood motorsport for advice, -Ad- from this forum for hooking me up, black_spirit for hearing me whinge to him everyday about my car issues (you may have the skills but i can now brake faster then you!) and tanghy for sourcing the brakepads.

- angus
    Last edited by urbanracer.com; 03-01-07, 10:33 PM.

nice review angus.. good to see you did your research and passin on wat u learnt so that others can benefit from it

hope u have heaps of fun out on ur track day hehe

Comment

Why don't you get something that is slightly better than OEM for street use, and then change rotors/pads for track when you have to change the wheels to semi slicks instead.
      I am a lesbian trapped inside a male body

Comment

You blardy ricer!! haha

awesome review dude!

Comment

Originally posted by vtml View Post
          Why don't you get something that is slightly better than OEM for street use, and then change rotors/pads for track when you have to change the wheels to semi slicks instead.
          my mechanic suggested that.. but mind you im on a bit of a budget and wouldnt be able to afford keep changing rotors. i only know how to change my rims.. no idea how to change brake pads and rotors. so my mechanic suggested i'd be better off going for a one piece rotor if that is the case. my car hardly see's the track anyways. maybe once a month if im lucky.

Comment

nice write up! i'll see you on the track

Comment

Originally posted by urbanracer.com View Post
              my mechanic suggested that.. but mind you im on a bit of a budget and wouldnt be able to afford keep changing rotors. i only know how to change my rims.. no idea how to change brake pads and rotors. so my mechanic suggested i'd be better off going for a one piece rotor if that is the case. my car hardly see's the track anyways. maybe once a month if im lucky.
              Once a month is heaps. Changing rotors and pads is not rocket science. Save some more money and you can do that setup
              I am a lesbian trapped inside a male body

Comment

nice review.
                thats similar to my setup, i have zeal streight6 discs and endless na-r pads (but on dc2r). i have used p.mu's before and found they arent nearly as good as endless in terms of endurance, dusting and noise, but also to a lesser extent braking performance. just my 2c.
                "What's the point of racing a car that doesn't look cool?" - Nakai-san, RWB

Comment

great write up bro...thx for sharing......how much are those rotors? I think I miss that in 1st post.......
                  Mugen Whore #2

ヒール&トウのやりかた
                  1)ブレーキを踏む
                  2)クラッチを切る
                  3)シフトダウンしなから、
                    アクセルをぶかす
                  4)クラッチをつなぐ
                  :blah:
                  インテ君と共に歩み続けて早1年・・・いろんな所へ出かけ楽しく過ごしてきましたが、事情により手放すこと となりました。(T0T)
                  人生で初めて走る楽しさを教えてくれた「インテグラ TYPE R」・・・初めて走った時は何もかも衝撃的でした。今でも走る楽しさは変わらないですが。。。残念です。今 まで本当に感動をありがとう!

Comment

Originally posted by urbanracer.com View Post
                    So I ended up with the Endless Super 6 slot! I haven’t had the opportunity to try it on the track (due February 2nd 2007 – keep posted ).
                    which event? i want to join, i want to join .
                    going Barbagallo as well? 10th, 16th or 23rd FEB..

Comment

Originally posted by air23box View Post
                      great write up bro...thx for sharing......how much are those rotors? I think I miss that in 1st post.......
                      check with centrax.. Endless has changed price as of 21st of Dec due to increase of raw materials.

Comment

Originally posted by K.C. View Post
                        which event? i want to join, i want to join .
                        going Barbagallo as well? 10th, 16th or 23rd FEB..

just a private AHG track session on the v8 track (untimed tuning session). it's pretty much filled up but if u send me ur details via pm i can put u down as a reserve if any1 pulls out. cost is $45.00.

not confident to go on barbagello yet. maybe later during the year.

Comment

For any of you aussie guys wondering which JDM rotors you can and can't run on your DC5, just get the EP3R rotor applications for your needs. It's the same offset/specs as oem.
                          www.evogarage.com

Comment

"Quote" OEM – appx $250ea
                            DBA 4000 series - $265ea (from memory)
                            DBA 5000 series* - $465ea
                            Endless Tri Slot**
                            Endless Super 6 slot**
                            Project Mu 2 piece rotor SCR Pro? - $1000 pair"Quote"

Best price so far i`ve seen for DBA 5000 series,i got 2 quotes this week-$550 to $650 each!

Anyone do better?
                            Last edited by Irish R; 17-10-07, 01:50 AM.

Comment

tried Vsport?

http://www.vsport.com.au/
                              ... retired/

Comment

Working...
                              X